Tenant gone without warning

dodo

Hi I have just discovered yesterday 28th that my tennant has left without warning, think they left half way throught November which was their last month as had chat with neighbour, I was due to get payment from them via social welfare 26th of this month ,I know this will not come now,
Also I have noticed they have helped themselves to my microwave,kettle,toaster, and a few other items,

They where a bit rough TBH, just looking for advice is it worth getting police involved, is it worth chasing social for the last months rent,(deposit already used as they struggled to make difference up what social paid)My mistake but things just got on top of me:(.
just like some advice
Or should I just move on and learn, thanks

You probably know you have two options:

1) Chase them costing you more time and money with a likely negative outcome

2) Move on from it, and be more careful about who you rent to

You probably know you have two options:

1) Chase them costing you more time and money with a likely negative outcome

2) Move on from it, and be more careful about who you rent to

Or 3) Report them to the gardai and to social welfare and let them take it from there (and then follow option 2 above!).

If you have contents Insurance, you won't be able to make a claim if the Gardai aren't notified.

Also check the electricity and whether they have left an unpaid bill (in your name), as it possible and probably wasn't changed over.

Bear in mind that the payment of Rent Supplement is in arrears - the payment you would normaly receive this week is in respect of the month of November. So there should still be some entitlement, and some payment to you.

It's possible that the tenants haven't informed SW about their change of address yet.

Report the incident regardless.
Don't be too judgmental in the face of bare facts.
You may find they are the subject of a missing persons report.

Last edited:
"A bit rough".

Sudden disappearance.

A possibility to be aware of.

"A bit rough".

Sudden disappearance.

A possibility to be aware of.

I've yet to hear of undesirables going missing without a trace but with a microwave, kettle and a toaster.

Report the incident, why should you be left out of pocket?

I would also report them to PRTB, and the Social Welfare/County Council, They may have a track record

Back