Telecom provider issue

JdmSpec

Hi,Im just wondering could anyone give me an idea of likely outcome here.

About two years ago i was with a telephone provider,for a month at a time i was left without service and had constant problems with the line,according to comreg at the time i was entitled to leave the company as they could not provide a service,so i notified them by post and subsequently left.

The provider then tried to bill be for periods when i had no service and for the remainder of the contract.

Fast forward two years and after about 5 letters from Intrum Justita demanding money,to which i replied everytime stating the facts,i have now recieved a letter from a solictor saying i have 7 days to pay.

The fee is small €165,but i dont feel i should just pay it to get them off my case when there trying to bill me for a service i didnt have,or time i wasnt even with the company.

Im wondering what is the best thing i can do or if left is this likely to go to court or is it simply scare tactics from strongly worded letters by IJ?

€165. Ignore it. By all accounts you seem to have done all you can.
Even if that amount was legitimately owed to them it's not worth their while to refer it to the Court. They know that and they may suspect you don't hence the letter from a solicitor.

Agree 100% with McCrack.

Ignore any further letters from IJ. They will not go to court.

Just something i noticed on the letter,it has a solicitors name and logo on it,but yet IJ's address and phone number,it's kind of made out to look like its from a solicitor but infact its from IJ.

The solictor does exist from a google search but doesnt list any affiliation from there site with IJ or there office isnt even anywhere near them.

Seems abit shady

Yep. That is the standard form letter they use. The next letter will be a IJ letter. It usually goes quiet after that letter.

I dunno if Bill Holohan has done a deal with IJ so they can use his name?

I actually emailed him this morning regarding it,well emailed the address from his businesses website so it'l be interesting to see if anyone gets back from his company about it

I too was receiving requests for payment from a Debt Collecting Agency on behalf of a telecom company. This despite the fact that I had personally returned a modem with a covering letter cancelling the contract. This was in line with terms and conditions of the contract. Every time I received a letter I replied by letter explaining the situation . I continued to receive letters and even telephone calls didn't help until I said that I will be taking legal action because of defamation. Their reply was (paraphrasing) we are not defaming you, I said no, but your client is by passing on to you incorrect information about me and putting my name on a debtors' list. I never heard from them again.

They can't put you on a debtors list. They have to take you to court first. 99% of the content of their letters is pure lies. Remember they are in scare enough and they will pay up game.

They have no legal powers and they will give up after 5 letters if you don't engage them in correspondence.

The "debtors' list" I was referring to was the list they were working from. I'm sure they had a "list" in front of them, and no way did they want to pay me money, so if I'm not a creditor I'm a debtor.:) All I can say is, it worked for me. Just my tuppence worth. For me it was better to take this course than try to ignore letters coming through my letterbox. Some people are good at ignoring such letters I'm just not lucky enough to have that disposition.:(

I too was receiving requests for payment from a Debt Collecting Agency on behalf of a telecom company. This despite the fact that I had personally returned a modem with a covering letter cancelling the contract. This was in line with terms and conditions of the contract. Every time I received a letter I replied by letter explaining the situation . I continued to receive letters and even telephone calls didn't help until I said that I will be taking legal action because of defamation. Their reply was (paraphrasing) we are not defaming you, I said no, but your client is by passing on to you incorrect information about me and putting my name on a debtors' list. I never heard from them again.

You should also send them a bill for the costs of you having to deal with their correspondence - call it a processing fee - and follow it up with letters similar to the ones they send you - see how they react to being pursued for the debt :)

If they made inquiries with you, and you incurred costs as a result (remember time is money) and their inquiries are incorrect or invalid, then they should pick up the tab. In any legal situation cost follows fault. Would be interesting to see a case like this is small claims court.

Introduction

The Small Claims procedure is an alternative method of commencing and dealing with a civil proceeding in respect of a small claim and is provided for under the District Court (Small Claims Procedure) Rules, 1997 & 1999.
It is a service provided by District Court offices and is designed to handle consumer claims cheaply without involving a solicitor.
To be eligible to use the procedure, you, the "consumer" must have bought the goods or services (or the service) for private use from someone selling them in the course of business.
The procedure is not available for use by one business person against another.
The District Court Clerk, called the Small Claims Registrar, processes small claims.
Where possible, the registrar will negotiate a settlement without the need for a court hearing. If the matter cannot be settled the registrar will bring your claim before the District Court.
Type of claims dealt with
(a) a claim for goods or services bought for private use from someone selling them in the course of a business (consumer claims)
(b) a claim for minor damage to property (but excluding personal injuries)
(c) a claim for the non-return of a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties. For example, a holiday home or a room / flat in

From Courts Service website.

I would have thought that if you were a customer of the telecom company and incurred costs due to the actions of the company, you would fall under (a) above. No different that if you bought faulty goods and had to pay to fix them because the company would not. In this case you are paying to fix the problem with your customer account with the telecom company because the telecom company will not fix it itself. Just because they are not physical goods, it doesnt mean you are not allowed claim.

I doubt a small claims court would accept such a action as you are looking for damages, from personal experience. It would not fall within the remit of the 3 types of claims.

You will be directed to a solicitor who will take a District Court action for damages.

You should also send them a bill for the costs of you having to deal with their correspondence - call it a processing fee - and follow it up with letters similar to the ones they send you - see how they react to being pursued for the debt :)

I might just bombard them and see what they say,they dont seem to bother replying to any emails i send them though.

Im also interested in finding out more about the solicitors name on the letter,would it be standard practice for companies in general to send letters supposedly from a solicitor but addressed to themselfs or is it even legal?

Im also interested in finding out more about the solicitors name on the letter,would it be standard practice for companies in general to send letters supposedly from a solicitor but addressed to themselves or is it even legal?

Only the law society can really answer that.

Does Bill Holohon say in any part of the letter that he is a solicitor?

In the UK certain debt collectors use fake solicitors letters to get the desired result. But if you carefully check the letter footer it will say something like "Bond and Partners" is a trading style of "Dodgy debt collectors." So they don't actually ever to claim to be a solicitor.

It is all part of the deception that debt collectors engage in.

And?

What relevance does this have to the matter at hand? We do not know if this is the same "Bill Holohan".

Back