Taxation of Dividends Earned in Different Countries

Ironman 70.3

I have a number of investments made in Dividend paying companies in Ireland, USA, UK, Netherlands, Spain, Finland and Germany. I live in Ireland.

When I receive my dividends a Withholding Tax is charged in the various countries varying from 15% to 26%. I then receive the dividend minus the withholding Tax.

My question is when I declare the dividends as income here, are the earnings received charged at 41% or would it be eg USA has already charged me 15% and Ireland will charge the remaining 26%.

i know the state has tax arrangements with other countries but i am a bit confused as to how much i will have to pay in taxes here.

That depends on the country - some might deduct 20% and the Double Taxation Agreement allows for 15% so you pay the tax due above 15% to Ireland and claim back 5% from the other country. The revenue DTAs are easy enough to understand, Google them

There are some taxes that you'll get a credit for when paying tax here (like the withholding tax) and there are others that you have to reclaim in the country that the listing is held by completing some paperwork that needs to be signed by the authorities here. It's a real pain, depending on the size of the dividend it may not be worth doing.

There are some taxes that you'll get a credit for when paying tax here (like the withholding tax) and there are others that you have to reclaim in the country that the listing is held by completing some paperwork that needs to be signed by the authorities here. It's a real pain, depending on the size of the dividend it may not be worth doing.
Thanks Rob. Where can I access that information. What countries are in or out?

Back