Tax relief AVC Query

stoves1

My wife who will be 60 in coming months and is a hse employee job sharing ie two days one week and three the next and employed there since 1999, she will have circa 5 years to retirement and wish to maximise her tax free lump sum at retirement, she will have circa 23 years employment with hse at 65yrs, she earns 21.5k and i earn 60k, we are taxed as a married couple i think i get the credits, i pay tax at 41% and she pays tax at 20% i was wondering if she were to take out an AVC, is there anyway that our taxes can be adjusted so she can avail of 41% relief on an AVC for her, many thanks for replies, she pays circa €2.2k a year tax and i pay circa 11k.

Your wife is earning below the minimum standard rate cut off point for the 2nd earner of 24,800, the only way for her to avail of 41% tax relief on an AVC is for her earn more and as a consequence be paying tax at 41% e.g. if she was to earn 27,800 and take out an avc of 5000 she would get tax relief on 3000 at 41% and 2000 at 20%.

Thank you Daenis for that information at least that makes it clear have to decide now if worth taking out an AVC for final 5 years

ok its time to get the ball moving my wife is interested in increasing her working hours which could bring her salary to circa €30,800, i earn circa €60k, how do i calculate how much tax she will pay in order for me to maximise the avc relief benefit at 41%. would appreciate help on this bearing in mind she will be 60 in july 2017

Back