Tax Rebate on Stamp Duty payments?

E

Easy

Does anyone know if it is possible to claim back tax on stamp duty you pay out. if so is it possible to claim now for stamp duty that ws paid as far back as 1999?

What do you mean by claiming tax back on SD? Doesn't sounds meaningful. Perhaps you can explain in a bit more detail?

sorry clubman....
I built a house recently and paid the government charges on water/services and was able to claim the tax back on the 3000 euro. I just sent in the receipt to the tax office and got a cheque in the post.
Something similar to med1 I suppose?

I don't see how you can claim tax back on what is essentially a tax payment (i.e. Stamp Duty).

I see what you are saying. I just thought that since I had already paid tax on money earned to pay for the stamp duty that I could get tax relief on the money paid... claim back the 42% I had already paid... anyway- thanks!

No.

One situation in which you do sort of (?) get tax relief on SD is when you can offset it (along with the acquisition price and other allowable costs) against a capital gain when calculating your CGT liability.

Other than that I don't know of any situation in which you get tax relief on SD payments.

Back