Tax & PRSI implications of working in US..

long_boy

Hi,
I'm thinking of taking up a job offer with my company at their HQ in the US next year for 6months, maybe 12 and I'm wondering several things:

1. Would I get a tax rebate here once I stop earning here mid next year?
2. Would I get a similar rebate in the US once I stop working there? I expect so as I did when I was a J1'er - but I wasn't working in Ireland around that time
3. The salary that I earn in the US - do I need to declare that to Revenue somehow and what are the tax implications of that?
4. If I'm abroad I'll stop paying PRSI so will I lose my entitlements when I return - eg reduced dental fees etc? It took 5 years to build that up in the first & would hate to have to start again!

thanks

Your first port of call should be with your HR department.

If the company is sending you abroad, it is likely that they have a tax equalisation or protection policy in place, and if so they can advise you of all the implications.

If not, then come back to the forum.

Thanks Domo, didn't think of that.
We actually don't have any HR in Ireland - our local rep is in the UK and nobody has done this before from Ireland.......so I could be making them aware of such a procedure to my disadvantage. Will need to ponder that!

If your main office is in the UK, have they sent people abroad?
If so, they would possible have something in place in the UK, and it would make sense to have same in Ireland.

It would be best if the company sorted this out, as if you had to do it all yourself, it would be costly, and you could loose out.

If you can find out what the position is first, it would be best.

Back