Tax for married couple

taxproblem

I just received my tax credits certificate and I need a bit of advise. I earn 600 per week and my husband 400 per week before tax . I was allocated 1650 tax credits and a rate band of 23800 and my husband was allocated 5270 tax credits and a rate band of 41800. My job will finish in June. What I am not clear about is if 41800 rate band for my husband is right as he warns 20000 per year and maybe my rate band should be more.

Thank you.

Yes you're rate band should be higher, you're not making full use of the bands at the moment. Call revenue or go online on paye anytime (or rather get your husband to do so) and move a portion of the rate band back to you so that you have 31,200.
Then request balancing statements for the last few years you may be due some tax back

Thank you for the clarification . What about the tax credits do I have to allocate more to me or they don't really matter.

My wife and I received notification of our tax credits for 2014 and then an updated one was sent in Jan 2014. I logged into PAYE anytime and changed the credits so that they are split evenly between us. Unfortunately this was not received in time and by my wifes employer and her wages are down as she did not get her full tax free credit.
I got paid today and did not receive her tax free portion as the new details were received by my employer(I get paid a week after her). So we are down a few quid this month. Will my wife receive the missing amount in her February wages or will it be split over the next 11 months or will we have to wait to claim it back in Jan/Feb 2015?

My wife and I received notification of our tax credits for 2014 and then an updated one was sent in Jan 2014. I logged into PAYE anytime and changed the credits so that they are split evenly between us. Unfortunately this was not received in time and by my wifes employer and her wages are down as she did not get her full tax free credit.
I got paid today and did not receive her tax free portion as the new details were received by my employer(I get paid a week after her). So we are down a few quid this month. Will my wife receive the missing amount in her February wages or will it be split over the next 11 months or will we have to wait to claim it back in Jan/Feb 2015?

Your wife should get it in Feb

Back