Tanager looking to sell my home

Jpatrick

Tanager has recently advised me they will offer me a discount of my mortgage if I can switch to another lender. If I'm unable to switch due to poor credit history they will to force me to sell my home. I have made full payments over the last 3 years. 18k is in arrears and I have recently started to make extra payement.

Tanager has recently advised me they will offer me a discount of my mortgage if I can switch to another lender.

Out of interest, did they indicate what level the discount was likely to be?

I'd agree with them being unlikely to force you to do anything: they'd be laughed out of court if they tried to get repossession when you're making full payments and a contribution to arrears.

Hi Brendan,
They offered a 50k discount from mortgage of 250k (including arrears) which will take me out of negative equity. I was told over the last 18 months they intended to restructure mortgage but advised me by phone call in Jan they were no longer restructuring. They refuse to put the offer in writing but they sent me a letter last week advising me to sell my home.

1. details
    Net monthly
    (i.e. after tax) Income self: nature of income e.g. self-employed/public servant etc
    Income history: e.g. "I was made redundant in June 2011 and have not had any work since..."
    Net monthly €2500

Personal circumstances so we can calculate your reasonable living expenses

Montly spend on : public transport €300. Mortgage protection €125. Electricity / Gas €60. House insurance €20. TV / Broadband €80. TV Licence €13. Refuge €25. Housing tax €20.

Home loan
    Lender: Tanager
    Amount outstanding: €250000
    Value of home: €230,000
    Interest rate: specify whether tracker or SVR
    Monthly

How important is retaining the family home to you?

Which of the following best describes your situation?

I really want to keep the family home even if it means having a large mortgage and negative equity for years to come.

Any other relevant information

What is your preferred realistic outcome?

For example: "I'm in a position to repay the arrears of €100 per month.

Off topic, but my MPP is 100 per annum, yours is 125 pm, or 1500 pa.

My original loan was 155k, yours was more, yet your premium is 15x my premium.

This is what I'm paying every month. It only covers for mortgage to be payed if I die.

Mortgage Protection covers you in the event that you die while the policy is in force.

You don't mention any children, so you will get no benefit from it. Stop paying it, and pay the money against your mortgage arrears instead.

What is your mortgage rate?
What is your monthly mortgage repayment?

You will not be able to get a mortgage of that amount anywhere else on your income, so forget about Tanager's offer.

But you do need to focus on keeping up the full monthly repayments, stay engaged with Tangager, make a note of every discussion with them, so that if they do bring you to court, the judge will laugh them out of it.

Brendan

Brendan are you correct in telling Jpartrick to stop paying mortgage protection cover.I suspect it is in the loan agreement when Jpatrick took out mortgage would be breaking the terms set out in that agreement it also may cover the mortgage provider if anything happened to the OP and there were other debts to be paid off
Protocol is correct he should be able to get better terms .did it cover redundancy

Last edited by a moderator:
The mortgage protection does sound expensive but we don't know the age/smoker/health of the OP. (Protocol - yours sounds awful cheap, is that to cover your life or some sort of Mortgage Payment Protection?)

Worth looking at for the OP but there may be some reason we don't about as to why it's that high.

While if you have no dependants cancelling it is not a big deal it probably is a condition of the loan, however I don't think banks take any notice of that anymore, has anyone known a bank to take action over a lapsed life cover? I dealt with lots of arrears cases and many of them had let their life and house insurance lapse due to lack of funds and they would have had dependants so more important. It was never any part of the main issue like the arrears were.

While if you have no dependants cancelling it is not a big deal it probably is a condition of the loan, however I don't think banks take any notice of that anymore, has anyone known a bank to take action over a lapsed life cover?

That is my thinking exactly.

One senior arrears guy told me that he would like if they were allowed to recommend this to their customers in arrears, but the Central Bank would not understand the argument.

Brendan

Yes I do know .Some of ye can be very cold in the advice you give .I do know a mother who is in this position after her son died not a very nice position to be in .Jpatrick may be able to get loan/ help from family members to pay off arrears provided OP has life cover to pay back loan if he died .One other thing fpatrick should check if he has life cover for the arrears .Years ago I changed my own insurance on Mortgage saving lots of money new Insurance tracked balance of mortgage balance + an extra 20000 Euro

Sorry if we appear cold, we were trying to offer suggestions! We did say 'if he has no dependants' in which case if he died the bank can sell the house and take what they get. Obviously it's a totally different situation if someone like their mother is living in the house as well and needs somewhere to live should the OP die.

Most people don't let insurance lapse intentionally, they do it because they have no money to pay it.

When I read it back now I can see I stated it incorrectly Sorry. It was the Senior arrears Guy I was posting about. Maybe I picked up wrong but the OP has 30000 euros after tax + the chance of getting a Job I thing he should have enough money to keep life insurance going If he is paying over the top for a reason all the more reason to keep it going . When money was tight and I had no funds to cover Funeral expenses my only option was life insurance.

Tanager has recently advised me they will offer me a discount of my mortgage if I can switch to another lender. If I'm unable to switch due to poor credit history they will to force me to sell my home. I have made full payments over the last 3 years. 18k is in arrears and I have recently started to make extra payement.

It's the courts that grant the repossession orders and I can't see that happening under the circumstances you've described.

The fundamental point is that single people without dependants get no benefit from life cover.

Therefore he should stop paying it and pay the money towards the mortgage arrears instead.

The only exception to this would be if he has some illness which would mean that life cover would be far more expensive, if he wanted it again in the future and if he might acquire dependants.

If he has dependants, he should shop around.

But the main point is that he needs to deal with the real and present problem of arrears which could lead to the loss of his home, rather than with the very unlikely event that he might die before paying off the mortgage.

Brendan

Point Taken But it comes with a Health Warning. If the get rid of Life cover now they May not be able to get it back if they run into bad health Single people Without dying Do get benefit from having Life insurance on there Mortgage if they run unto bad health .They could leave there house to someone who is prepared to look after them in there own home. In most cases there reasons for buying rather than renting are no different than people with dependants. I know this is not the correct post to be making this point so i will leave it.

Single people Without dying Do get benefit from having Life insurance on there Mortgage if they run unto bad health

jj

Some mortgage protection policies will pay out to people who have a fatal illness and are not expected to live long. But it's very rare.

Brendan

Back