Taking control of my pension

B

Ballinrode

I am due for retirement this year and have a reasonable sized private pension built up but am not happy with the current fund management. I want to understand how I can take control of my pension. I have recently become a sole trader and understand if I form a company I can do this? Anyone got any ideas!

What are your plans for the pension funds? If you are going to draw some or all down within a year then is it not too late to be trying to self manage them? Will you be using an A[M]RF? Have you ever obtained professional advice?

Hi there, plans are to invest the maximum allowed in property. Hadn't planned to use an A[M]RF. Haven't yet gotten professional advice and would like any suggestions on good independent advisor.

If you don't plan to purchase an A[M]RF, thn by default you must be planning to purchase an annuity at retirement. Which you say you'll be doing this year. So the self-direction of your pension assets would be for a few months until you retire? :confused:

On the other hand, if you choose to re-invest some of your pension fund after retirement into an Approved Retirement Fund and/or Approved Minimum Retirement Fund, you do have the option of a Self-Directed or Self-Administered ARF, which allows you to choose the assets in which your fund invests.

If you want to invest your entire fund in property that option is available, although investing your entire fund in one asset class is something that should only be done with one's eyes wide open.

You don't need to establish a company to avail of self-direction of your pension fund, either pre or post retirement.

Back