taking card payments over the phone ?

berryblue

I am looking for a way to take card payments over the phone, our business doesnt really warrant a full time terminal machine but we get occassional purchases over the phone and could do with a procedure to collect on the sale - any ideas or advice on if this is even possible ?

Thanks, does paypal work over the phone ? I thought it was only used through a website. - I could be wrong (its not unknown :)) I need to be able to catch payment while the customer is on the phone.

sumup might do what you're looking for. I havent used it myself yet but it was recommended to me
[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Lots of options. The best would depend on your expected volume / value. There are some fixed price packages that allow a certain number of transactions.

Who do you bank with?
Do you use an accounts package like Sage?
Is this for 'just in case' or something you think would be used regularly and increasingly?

Last edited:
Avoid paypal. Over priced and if ever a dispute they will mostly side with the buyer even if you prove otherwise.

Some of the card processors will have online terminal options that won't have a monthly fee and will offer rates of about 1.25% for corporate cards and 0.75% for personal credit cards.

The best option is probably a lowcost terminal (less than €15 a month) that gives you flexibility to take phone and in person payments.

Another option is a gsm terminal especially if you are getting payment for one off work - simply give invoice and let them know you can take card payment there and then.

Gsm terminals are about €20-25/month.

Back