Take out coffees and overflowing litter bins.

As we are now letting off steam, I think someone who with premeditation plan to dump litter like this are sociopaths who are probably also the ones responsible for a whole host of other petty crimes, illegal parking, driving without tax, insurance and anti social behaviour.
If we could find them and eliminate them, my complex calculations are that we would improve human society by 47.6%.

As we are now letting off steam, I think someone who with premeditation plan to dump litter like this are sociopaths who are probably also the ones responsible for a whole host of other petty crimes, illegal parking, driving without tax, insurance and anti social behaviour.
If we could find them and eliminate them, my complex calculations are that we would improve human society by 47.6%.
That could be a cool episode of Black Mirror. A guy drops a cup on the footpath and then, boom, a drone zaps him from above!

I logged recently four reports on fixmystreet.ie in regards to littering - I am curious if / when the council will pick that up.

Last edited:
I have noticed multiple people walking the streets with their take out coffee fix because they cannot sit inside and enjoy their coffee as before. As a result many of our litter bins are overflowing to capacity. It doesn't help that Magpies and Jackdaws are pulling these cups out on to the street in search of food.

The bins in Baggot Street last weekend had litter piled up on the ground beside them.

Is it not possible for the person in charge in the various Co. Council's to organise a few extra staff to have these bins emptied, especially at weekends? What does it take to wake these people up?
What did Dublin City Council say when you rang them to inform them?

What did Dublin City Council say when you rang them to inform them?
I would have thought that Dublin City Council have some sort of "supervisors" or similar to do that job? Even the person whose job it is to clean that particular stretch of street can speak up if he sees a problem.

I would have thought that Dublin City Council have some sort of "supervisors" or similar to do that job? Even the person whose job it is to clean that particular stretch of street can speak up if he sees a problem.
It's not always someone else's responsibility. If you see something, report it, don't go online and moan about it without having done that. If you have done that then it's fair enough to complain online if it hasn't been addressed.
There is also personal responsibility, the same muppets who leave bags of bottles beside Bottle Banks when they're full are the same muppets who won't walk another few hundred metres to an empty bin. Putting all the onus on the council to fix up other people's messses is why the city is dirty, people always think someone else has to do it for them.
I would think the emptying of bins needs to be looked at, they often seem to be emptied only once per day and that should be increased. Perhaps they haven't adapted to the new reality as quickly as they should but they are probably under-staffed and the OP thinks it's simple to just order staff (most of whom are working from home) who have never worked in waste disposal to start doing a totally new job when training at the moment is next to impossible.

the same muppets who leave bags of bottles beside Bottle Banks when they're full

This one really boils my blood.

Speaking as one of the muppets, when I gather up all my bottles jars etc sort them by colour and take them to the bottle bank and see that it is full, I get cross, angry and then despondent.

I have done my bit, I have brought a valuable recycling material at my expense to a place where someone else is paid to collect it, and they haven't done their job, the job they are paid to do, wether they actually do it or not it would appear. Why do I bother.

This one really boils my blood.

Speaking as one of the muppets, when I gather up all my bottles jars etc sort them by colour and take them to the bottle bank and see that it is full, I get cross, angry and then despondent.

I have done my bit, I have brought a valuable recycling material at my expense to a place where someone else is paid to collect it, and they haven't done their job, the job they are paid to do, wether they actually do it or not it would appear. Why do I bother.
Seriously? Do you want a medal? Everyone seems to bring their bottles to the bank on a Monday, then are surprised that other people had the same idea.
A couple of weeks ago, the first bottle bank I went to was full, so instead of leaving the bottles there and fuming at how unjust life is, i looked online, found the nearest one, cycled there and found I was able to put my bottles in there instead. I did have to go the rear of the bank and squeeze my bottles in there but they got in and I headed home full of smug.

I did have to go the rear of the bank and squeeze my bottles in there but they got in and I headed home full of smug.

Yeah that is a good trick I resort to if I can get at the back of the bottle bank, though sometimes they are jammed in against walls so not an option.

I thought I had figured out the collection day for my bottle bank so would wait until the next day to walk down with the bottles.
But it doesn't seem to be a fixed day :(

We could do with a few more bottle banks, especially with more people drinking at home.
In French cities pretty much every estate has one. There's not enough in D1 for sure.

Yes there definitely should be more bottle banks. I think it would be even better if they could be collected as part of the recycling bin, but they're not.

Seriously? Do you want a medal?

Well if they are going. Recyclable I hope

A couple of weeks ago, the first bottle bank I went to was full, so instead of leaving the bottles there and fuming at how unjust life is, i looked online, found the nearest one, cycled there and found I was able to put my bottles in there instead. I did have to go the rear of the bank and squeeze my bottles in there but they got in and I headed home full of smug.

Well if I get a medal, you get a gold medal. Still self knowledge excuses a lot.

It is not just on Mondays that the bottle Banks are full. I have been to some in mid week and they have been full. Some people leave their boxes full beside the bottle bank . Some when they have been able to empty their bottles shove the boxes between the bottle banks. If I find the bottle bank full there are about three or four others around the town where there will usually be able to take the bottles even if I have to push them through. It does not matter whether a person is fuming , smug, mad or sad there will always be room in a bottle bank at some stage, just be patient I say.

Back