Switching off TV's/Satellite boxes at mains

baguio2007

One of the lads in my house has a habit of switching off/on the TV at the mains without soft powering down ie. powering down via the remote. I always thought this was bad for electrical equipment of this nature. Is this the case?

Was told by sky people not to leave it on standby or it will lessen life span of box and they will charge you €100 to replace it.

I have a sky box for 5 years that is turned off EVERY night by switching off at the mains instead of the off button on the box. Still works grand.

Changed to sky+ a few weeks ago, not so sure if that would be as robust with the hard drive in it and all...
Wexfordman

not a good idea to switch off skybox at mains because when u switch back on it goes through a reboot and dwonloads the latest software over and over. Also over the air updates are sent during the night so box will miss them if switched off. the new sky + goes into standby of its own accord.

noah

not a good idea to switch off skybox at mains because when u switch back on it goes through a reboot and dwonloads the latest software over and over. Also over the air updates are sent during the night so box will miss them if switched off. the new sky + goes into standby of its own accord.

noah

Something I've wondered about before - how does this insistence by the likes of Sky / NTL etc. that you never plug their boxes out for fear of missing an update tally with the oft-repeated, and eminently sensible advice from various fire authorities that electrical goods should be plugged out at night? I know in reality we all ignore this advice to an extent e.g. fridges, alarm clocks etc. left plugged in, but I would always unplug everything else overnight.

Thanks for all the posts above. Was more concerned as regards if it could be damaging for my new flat panel lcd tv. what do ye think?

Unless your TV has moving parts, i.e a hard drive then it makes no difference at all.

very bad for any type of sky box, otherwise makes no difference.

On what basis have you come to this opinion? We should all conserve energy wherever possible. No harm will come by switching off the mains.

Can't see how its bad for a skybox to be unplugged , ours is off for the 20hours a day when its not in use I wouldn't worry about their updates. Also I believe there is no real difference in stand by and on with the sky box only no epg and no rf feed. But it still uses
the same power as on

Back