Switching from UB to NIB Prestige... Easy?

I called the Personal Accounts team yesterday about opening a Prestige account. I spoke to a very mannerly and informed gentleman about switching from UB.

The good news is that there is now no minimum credit limit on the Platinum MasterCard. So one have all the benefits of the card with a very low credit limit.

The bad news is that there is a requirement for new customers with the bank to wait 6 months before they will be considered for any credit facility including a credit card. The bank would like to see how you manage your finances before considering you for a credit card. I did mention that I could supply 6 months of bank statements etc from my current bank but that is not acceptable by NIB.

There are exemptions from the 6 months requirement but you must have a income in excess of €100k pa.

I am going to open a new account and have my salary paid in but I will keep my UB account also. I will set up a standing order from NIB to UB and continue to have all my direct debits etc come out of my UB account. If there are issues about the CC in 6 months I'll just close the account and go back completely to UB.

Ok. I went into the branch and spoke to a lovely lady there about opening a Prestige account and the Platinum credit card. She said that while the normal policy is that the current account should be open for 6 months before any credit facility is considered it would possible for me to apply for the card immediately with a recommendation from the branch.

I opened the Prestige account and submitted 6 months current account statements from UB, 1 credit card statement, 1 payslip and my last P60 for the credit card.

I heard back within a few days that the credit card application had been provisionally approved but an additional 6 months current account statements were required along with an additional 2 months credit card statements, 3 additional payslips and my 2010 P60. A certificate of income was also required from my employer.

Now some might say that is a lot of documentation just to get a credit card but I understand that banks are much cagier in handing out credit these days. I had 90% of the required documentation to hand and the reminder was easy to get.

I expect to get my credit card and Priority Pass card in the next week or so. I already received my Laser card and online banking credentials. I must say I have found the communication from the Branch excellent with frequent phone calls and emails informing me of the status of the applications / accounts. The experience has been very positive so far.

Ok. I went into the branch and spoke to a lovely lady there about opening a Prestige account and the Platinum credit card. She said that while the normal policy is that the current account should be open for 6 months before any credit facility is considered it would possible for me to apply for the card immediately with a recommendation from the branch.

I opened the Prestige account and submitted 6 months current account statements from UB, 1 credit card statement, 1 payslip and my last P60 for the credit card.

I heard back within a few days that the credit card application had been provisionally approved but an additional 6 months current account statements were required along with an additional 2 months credit card statements, 3 additional payslips and my 2010 P60. A certificate of income was also required from my employer.

Now some might say that is a lot of documentation just to get a credit card but I understand that banks are much cagier in handing out credit these days. I had 90% of the required documentation to hand and the reminder was easy to get.

I expect to get my credit card and Priority Pass card in the next week or so. I already received my Laser card and online banking credentials. I must say I have found the communication from the Branch excellent with frequent phone calls and emails informing me of the status of the applications / accounts. The experience has been very positive so far.

They certainly look for a lot of information now!

Glad you got sorted and thanks for telling us how the process works now.

From today all accounts in National Irish Bank (Danske Bank) are fee-paying.

I don't mind like you paying as I feel the service is very professional and they have been very decent with me in the past.

Have you used the Priority Pass yet? It's unclear from the Danske bank site which priority pass membership is given, i.e. if you have to pay to enter lounges?

I've used the PP card on a number of occasions. There is no additional charge to use the card for the cardholder and up to one additional guest.

Back