Switching from UB to NIB Prestige... Easy?

gunnerfitzy

After thinking about switching for some time I've finally decided to go ahead with an application for a prestige account with NIB and switching.

Has anyone any experiences with opening an account with NIB recently? Any difficulties in the switching process? Any issues with the credit card application?

Thanks in advance.

NIB account opening is very quick and straightforward. You can do it in a branch or over the phone. Its probably quicker in a branch.

If you are opening it in the branch you will get a credit score there and then and what your limit will be - max. You can ask for a lower amount or ask it to be reviewed if the limit is lower than you expected or need. It will take two weeks or thereabouts if you ask for a credit review.

I don't have prestige but I assume thats how it works on that package too. I have easy plus.

NIB account opening is very quick and straightforward. You can do it in a branch or over the phone. Its probably quicker in a branch.

If you are opening it in the branch you will get a credit score there and then and what your limit will be - max. You can ask for a lower amount or ask it to be reviewed if the limit is lower than you expected or need. It will take two weeks or thereabouts if you ask for a credit review.

I don't have prestige but I assume thats how it works on that package too. I have easy plus.

That's great. Thanks for that info. I have a few specific questions that I will PM if you wouldn't mind helping me with.

What has motivating you to move from a free Ulster Bank account to a fee paying NIB account?

I have the UFirst Gold account with UB (€14 p/m). There are a couple of the benefits of the UFirst account including the travel insurance and Priority Pass card that I use often and having these as part of the package costs me less that if I was to purchase those products individually.

The same is true for the Prestige account with NIB (€125 pa). The comprehensive worldwide travel insurance and Priority Pass card with the account would be worth about €400 if purchased individually at regular prices. The Priority Pass card with NIB is far superior to the UB offering as the NIB card includes free lounge access for you and 1 guest. The UB card is only a 'membership card' as such and a charge of €24 for the holder and an additional €24 per guest is payable for each visit.

..... The Priority Pass card with NIB is far superior to the UB offering as the NIB card includes free lounge access for you and 1 guest. The UB card is only a 'membership card' as such and a charge of €24 for the holder and an additional €24 per guest is payable for each visit.

You should know that the NIB Priority Pass is linked to the Credit Card that goes with the Prestige Account. I discovered this to my surprise when I cancelled my Mastercard and then discovered my Priority Pass card was cancelled.

You should know that the NIB Priority Pass is linked to the Credit Card that goes with the Prestige Account. I discovered this to my surprise when I cancelled my Mastercard and then discovered my Priority Pass card was cancelled.

Thanks. I got that from website. I'm wondering will the credit card application be successful? Good job & salary and clean credit record but these days goodness knows what you need to get a €5k limit credit card!

I don't know if it's relevant for you, but i'm having problems convincing NIB to give me a new Platinum Mastercard. Even though I have a Prestige account, they tell me I must have my salary paid directly into the Prestige account for six months (it currently goes in a BoI account) before they consider me for a new card.

I don't know if it's relevant for you, but i'm having problems convincing NIB to give me a new Platinum Mastercard. Even though I have a Prestige account, they tell me I must have my salary directly into the Prestige account for six months (it currently goes in a BoI account) before they consider me for a new card.

Thanks for the heads up. It's hard to see the relevence of where the salary is paid into. If they start throwing irrelevant obstacles in my path I'll just scrap the whole move. How did they justify the six month requirement? Do you feel that you can persuade them to wave it?

I was advised to send a letter stating my case to the Credit Card Telephone Sales manager. I suspect this was suggested just to get me off the phone. Nevertheless, I'll send the letter this week.
My fear is that the credit-control guys in the backroom hold sway and the front-office staff have no influence over them

Did they happen to mention that this 6-month 'monitoring' period was standard procedure for all new applicants? Did you apply for your account completely over the phone?

I already have my Prestige account in place since 2008. I am only going through this process because I (stupidly) cancelled my Mastercard. I can't say if the six-month period applies for new applicants.

Why not call them and check it out?

I already have my Prestige account in place since 2008. I am only going through this process because I (stupidly) cancelled my Mastercard. I can't say if the six-month period applies for new applicants.

Why not call them and check it out?

Cheers. I'm going to give them a call early next week.

If you have a prestige account with a joint platinum mastercard, do you get one or two priority pass cards. i.e a priority card for each credit card.

If you have a prestige account with a joint platinum mastercard, do you get one or two priority pass cards. i.e a priority card for each credit card.

I asked this question of NIB recently. One Priority Pass card per account unfortunately.

Did they happen to mention that this 6-month 'monitoring' period was standard procedure for all new applicants? Did you apply for your account completely over the phone?

Sorry, just sent you back a reply there!

The six month issue was the same for me. What I done was showed a copy of my payslips.

I did think at the time it was curiosity / nosiness because ironically enough I worked for Bank of Ireland when upgrading my current account with NIB.

Other than that you can show them the previous bank statements where the salary was lodged.

Shouldn't be too much fuss. I think they link the credit limit to income/outgoings so even though its "Platinum" they can set low credit limits but you keep the benefits of that package.

I remember AIB Platinum had a minimum salary of €50k - thats because their minimum credit limit at the time was 15k per account - I think this has changed recently and NIB have no minimum on their accounts. They taylor the limits to the individual financial circumstances

I was advised to send a letter stating my case to the Credit Card Telephone Sales manager. I suspect this was suggested just to get me off the phone. Nevertheless, I'll send the letter this week.
My fear is that the credit-control guys in the backroom hold sway and the front-office staff have no influence over them

That would be my only negative with NIB. The old traditional bank is finished - its all back office now and 'computer says no' whereas they were more flexible when you could deal directly with the branch staff.

If they didn't reinstate the card I would close the account or downgrade. I do remember when I was thinking of downgrading from Easy Plus they said I would have to go through credit scoring - they see that as a new applicant.

Thanks, I must try to get the credit card changed into my name so as I would do more traveling than my wife and when she travels we are generally together.

Sorry, just sent you back a reply there!

The six month issue was the same for me. What I done was showed a copy of my payslips.

I did think at the time it was curiosity / nosiness because ironically enough I worked for Bank of Ireland when upgrading my current account with NIB.

Other than that you can show them the previous bank statements where the salary was lodged.

Shouldn't be too much fuss. I think they link the credit limit to income/outgoings so even though its "Platinum" they can set low credit limits but you keep the benefits of that package.

I remember AIB Platinum had a minimum salary of €50k - thats because their minimum credit limit at the time was 15k per account - I think this has changed recently and NIB have no minimum on their accounts. They taylor the limits to the individual financial circumstances

I have the same credit limit on the standard credit card as the platinum one. This is fine as I had no need to increase it. I also have an AIB one with a crazy limit which I will never need.

Thanks, I must try to get the credit card changed into my name so as I would do more traveling than my wife and when she travels we are generally together.

You may be okay if its in your wife's name - here are the travel terms for the NIB Platinum card:

"Beneficiary: Cardholder, spouse or partner (under 72) and children up to 18 years, including cover for spouse or partner and children (aged 16, 17 or 18) travelling alone."

[broken link removed]

You may be okay if its in your wife's name - here are the travel terms for the NIB Platinum card:

"Beneficiary: Cardholder, spouse or partner (under 72) and children up to 18 years, including cover for spouse or partner and children (aged 16, 17 or 18) travelling alone."
That's for the travel insurance provided with the Mastercard. DingDing was asking about the Priority Pass card which gives access to airport lounges when travelling - that's only one card per account - so if the card is in his wife's name, he can't access the lounges while travelling alone.

Back