Sweat Equity

matc66

Hello there,

I have been presented with a business opportunity which in my opinion I think is a good one based on market research and the team involved. I am new to the market of consultancy (this would be my 1st job post a perm role in a large org) and I was brought in to help set up the new venture in terms of marketing, business development and organisational planning.

Normally I understand consultants charge a daily rate or can agree a retainer if they are comfortable with the level of work involved and have a good contractual understanding of the terms.

However, in my case, in order to keep start up costs low, there has been informal mentioning of 'sweat equity' but I do not know much about this in terms of pitfalls, pros vs cons. I am intrigued by this and I think this overall could be a job/venture into the future not just for now. I have also been advised that I would be paid a monthly 'retainer/salary' (I'm not sure at this time if that come out of the equity ultimately) and I'm also not sure how my expenses will be handled. I see this as an opportunity (I'm new to consultancy but hopefully not too green:) but I'm interested to see if anyone has any experience dealing with these types of arrangements.

My first thoughts were:
1. Talk to a solicitor to understand what I need to look for (need to get one)
2. Work out ultimately where I stand with an accountant too when we get down to it

Thanks all.

Back