Supplier Xmas treats - for boss or staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She should not just keep them and say nothing. If she does she is leaving herself open to all sorts of accusations of underhandedness.
Gifts should be raffled or distributed to the office/ team/ company.
I get loads of gifts from suppliers but it would be very unfair if I kept them as I am part of a team and everyone contributes to the companies success.
Every year we raffle 5 x €500 cheques and 5 x €200 cheques the day we break up for Christmas. We also raffle all gifts, bottles, hampers etc. All directors and are excluded from these raffles.
We don't give Christmas bonuses as bonuses are given throughout the year.

As I said earlier the people in the other sections of her workplace get bonuses and gifts and these are not shared. All she gets is a lousy box or two of chocs and maybe a bottle or two. Surely she is entitled to keep these for herself. No one else shares with her and as NHG said; he makes sure to give his Xmas box directly to the person who has helped him.

Is there any need to make such a big fuss by organising a raffle for the sake of a few small items. I can assure you we're not talking about big cheques or meal vouchers.

I can't believe that the majority of peole think she's not entitled to these items. I dont think she's being selfish. I think that these few things are a perk for her at the end of her working year.

Well said, you are quite right! I've always kept the pressies given to me in my dept except on one occassion where I shared them out and got no thanks for it. The pressies by the way were given to paticular individuals from the same person, for example one to the purchase ordering person , one to accounts so the person giving the pressies knew exactly who he wanted to recieve them
This sounds to me to be a similar case
Tell her to enjoy them, she has worked hard enough and her suppliers obviously appreciate her work

I can't believe that the majority of peole think she's not entitled to these items. I dont think she's being selfish. I think that these few things are a perk for her at the end of her working year.[/quote]

It's not about what is fair; she is an employee of a company and should not take gifts from suppliers etc without informing for manager/boss. It's that simple. In my opinion, in the circumstances you describe, she should be allowed to keep the gifts but it's not her call.
In most multi-nationals an employee caught taking gifts from suppliers can be sacked.

Tell her to enjoy them, she has worked hard enough and her suppliers obviously appreciate her work
[/QUOTE]
So what about the people in sales and admin, should they get nothing? Just because her job is to spend money and not make it should not entitle her to special non-contractual perks.

So what about the people in sales and admin, should they get nothing? Just because her job is to spend money and not make it should not entitle her to special non-contractual perks.[/quote]

These people as I have said already get their own xmas perks and she's never been offered a share

The problem is where do you draw the line? Is it a bottle of wine or a €50 voucher or a paid holiday? These small things can grow & become bribary which is why so many companies clamp down on it. It is the bosses company so he should be at least aware that the supplier has given something in.

I reckon it's all about trust. If she is happy that her boss will not have a problem with her taking the few bits, then so be it.....but if thats the case why not just say "Joe Bloggs dropped this in for me" and see what he says. That way he has the opportunity to "give" it to her rather than have her "take" it....a world of difference and for the sake of a few bits I'd rather have the option of being upfront.

I know a waiter who was sacked for not putting tips into a central kitty (some restaurants use these), his attitude was that it was only £5, but the trust was broken and we couldn't be sure how many other "£5" ended up in his pocket.

The problem is where do you draw the line? Is it a bottle of wine or a €50 voucher or a paid holiday? These small things can grow & become bribary which is why so many companies clamp down on it. It is the bosses company so he should be at least aware that the supplier has given something in.

I reckon it's all about trust. If she is happy that her boss will not have a problem with her taking the few bits, then so be it.....but if thats the case why not just say "Joe Bloggs dropped this in for me" and see what he says. That way he has the opportunity to "give" it to her rather than have her "take" it....a world of difference and for the sake of a few bits I'd rather have the option of being upfront.

I know a waiter who was sacked for not putting tips into a central kitty (some restaurants use these), his attitude was that it was only £5, but the trust was broken and we couldn't be sure how many other "£5" ended up in his pocket.
Exactly

I can't believe that the majority of peole think she's not entitled to these items. I dont think she's being selfish. I think that these few things are a perk for her at the end of her working year.

It seems you don't want to accept what the majority of people are saying here! Why should she be entitled to these gifts simply for doing her job? I presume the other people who get bonuses and "don't share" have these written into their contracts of employment? If the sales people don't hit their targets and so don't get these bonuses, does your friend want to chip in to pay them then?

Having had experience in companies doing the giving, these gifts are seen as a thank you to the company for their business during the year.

Agree with Purple and Leo.

It's maybe worth considering too that the only reason your friend is personally "presented" with these gifts is as a direct result of her position: she might be the only person that suppliers etc actually know in the company. This is often the case in my position - items are labelled in my name but are distributed throughout the company.

Hey hey, just spoke to my friend at lunch. A supplier dropped off a tin of roses to her. She asked him who they were for and he said they were for her to reward her for "cooperation and for being so obliging" throughout the year.

So what does she do in that case??

Hey hey, just spoke to my friend at lunch. A supplier dropped off a tin of roses to her. She asked him who they were for and he said they were for her to reward her for "cooperation and for being so obliging" throughout the year.

So what does she do in that case??
Sweet Jebus, a tin of Roses!! Here's what she does - take the lid off them proceed to have one and then ask her colleagues would anyone like one.

The mind boggles.

Yes but why should she? The other staff take their items home. They don't go the whole way to her office to offer her what they've been given.

Margie, with respect, I think at this stage a lot people don't really care anymore. The points have been made. Tell your friend to do whatever her conscience/terms of employment dictates.

She has to ask her boss and do whatever she/he wants.

If she feels that she is not getting a fair crack of the whip perks wise she should raise it as a issue with him.

Yes but why should she? The other staff take their items home. They don't go the whole way to her office to offer her what they've been given.
Why should she? Cause it's a decent thing to do, and the fact that its tin of Roses really make it such a nonsense issue.

Really if your going to use the logic of 'why should she as noone else does it' in life then I pity you.

She is simply feeling a bit used and abused in her job at the moment. It's simply the principal. it's not about a few sweets.

Caveat you're entitled to your opinion but there's no need to be rude.

I'll leave it at that.

Right then, she should take out all the purple ones (I'm biased) or whatever ones she likes best and THEN offer them around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back