Suggestions for 4 day probably city break early Sept!

alicante city is a nice place,beach and port there.its a big destination for spanish tourists so its not at all like the usual resorts with your typical irish and english bars.some nice restuarants and hotels in the city and only 15 mins from airport,would go back tomorrow.

went to lake como last year,unbelievable views but got bored after about 3 days(stayed in bellagio)you can fly to milan or bergamo, each about an hour from the lake.bergamo is a cool city much nicer than milan.

I'd recommend Scotland. hows about Edinburgh you can fly with Ryanair.

Salzburg is mostly a place to go in Winter with lots of skiing close by. It can be quite reasonable to visit off season. Ryanair fly from Dublin.
Lots of beautiful scenery with mountains & lakes. I visited the Eagles Nest - Hitlers mountain retreat - while there & it's well worth a visit. Lots of delicious apple strudel !

Ryanair fly to Pisa which is near Florence.....

Lisbon I would heartily recommend. I was not very enthusiastic about going there in the first place but came back a convert. You can take day trips to Caiscais a lovely stylish seaside resort & Sintra which is a beautiful old world town where the royals had a palace for their holidays. Lisbon is the exact opposite of your package holiday. You can walk through the old Jewish quarter called Alfama Visit the Geronimus monastery where they have the tomb of Vasco da Gama. The monument to the discoveries is magnificient. The Silver Coast is not near as touristy as the Algarve.

I love Budapest & the weather can be quite pleasant in September. It's quite reasonable too. Do a search here & you'll find lots of info on it.

Scrap the idea of Carcassonne if you don't want France !

Another idea is to get a flight to Frankfurt (boring city !) but you can get a train to Heidelberg which is really lovely. It's like something from a fairytale.

Happy travels.....the research is part of the fun !

Thanks there are some great suggestions - I am liking the Sound of Lisbon have heard good things.
Heidelberg sounds very interesting - how far from Frankfurt is it- only been in Frankfurt airport a few times.
Have quite a small timeframe so Salzburg due to flights is out- maybe another time.
Agree re Edinburgh my favourite city in the Uk but been there a few times.

My own suggestion to others- of places I have been is Krackow- wonderful city, beautiful, cheap, great nightlife, loads to do, Auswitz and Salt mines not far away, castle in city etc and lots of cheap flights there.

Heidelberg is over an about an hour & a half by train if memory serves me correctly & the more rapid train is quite expensive.

I would have suggested Krakow if you hadn't already been. I was there last Nov. Got flights for €20 & a hotel for €200 for 5 nts. Everything was so cheap incl train from airport - hotel only 5min walk from station & main sq about 10min walk. It was freezing but that only added to the beauty of it & the bleakness of Auschwitz. It was one of my cheapest holidays ever !

Lisbon is absolutely gorgeous - one of the nicest breaks we've ever had and it is incredibly good value. Second choice for me would be Budapest

Just returned from 4 days in Madrid and can recommend it highly - such a vibrant city, impressive architecture and art, great food at realistic prices, open air Sunday markets, fantastic night life and music, top class shopping including fab shoes and bags, plenty to see and do. The hop-on-off bus is a great way to get around all the main sights.

If you go, be sure to take a day trip to either (or both) Toledo and Segovia. Only problem (as in most big cities) appears to be pickpockets. Public transport is very easy to use and the weather in September should be very good - usually in the mid to late 20s at that time.

Yes, Madrid is a beautiful city & often overlooked. If you're into art at all you're spoiled for choice with the Prado, the Reina Sofia & the Thyssen, all well worth a look.

Segovia is really charming with Queen Isabella's home that is reputed to be the model for Disney's castle. Toledo is also very interesting.....

You're spoiled for choice so whichever flights are the cheapest I'd go for.

Back