Sugarloaf

Markjbloggs

What is the best way to get to the Sugarloaf from central Dublin. I've heard that you can drive a bit of the way up the mountain.

There's a car park at the base of the climbing part of the mountain. You can't drive any further than that. I haven't been there for over a year and the car park was actually closed then, but there's room to park on the road anyway.

Directions: Take the Roundwood exit from the N11, following the signs for Avoca Handweavers. The road winds upwards quite steeply for about a mile and a half. When you get to the top of the hill, keep a look out for a disused council yard on the left hand side. There is a decaying cattle trailer in the yard. Take the left turn at the end of this yard and continue on. You will see the Sugar Loaf on your left

[SNIP]Directions: Take the Roundwood exit from the N11, following the signs for Avoca Handweavers.[/SNIP]

But don't actually go to Avoca Handweavers - as soon as you get over the bridge and down the ramp you need to turn left at the T junction. Heading uphill in other words. Avoca is in a different direction from here.

Last time we were there (about 18 months ago) there was what looked like a semi-permanent encampment there. I think this is why the car park was closed off. Unfortunately there was also a lot of rubbish blowing around the mountain side which made it look like all the witches knickers which used to inhabit the hedgerows of Ireland had all relocated to the Sugarloaf.

It's a fun climb and a great view, but be warned that at the top is is quite steep and loose underfoot so just make sure you take care.

z

Back