Student banking - charges?

Chim

I keep two student bank accounts. I lodge my student scholarship (paid annually in a lump sum) into one and then pay myself a weekly allowance into the other by way of a standing order. My scholarship is (very!) late this year and the standing order wasn't met last week. The bank have charged me roughly a €12 penalty as a result. Both accounts are student accounts, usually any transactions are not charged for.

I was just wondering if this is one of those things that's in the small print (I don't have a copy of the fees & schedules handy and can't find it online), or whether I should take it up with them?

By all means discuss it with them. Everything is negotiable. Unfortunately you were hit with the standard "unpaid" charge which is one of the exceptions to free banking. Same as writing a cheque when you have no funds in the account. I'm a banker and I do believe that if you plead your case rather than kicking up over it they may make an exception for a poor student and refund the fee.

I agree with BrenG, it's worth trying & asking nicely generally works better than indignant complaining

Also if you ask they may give you an advance on your grant, if you bring in proof of your scholarship. This would tide you over till the money arrives.

Thanks for the advice guys! Will give my local branch a ring tomorrow and see if there's any friendliness forthcoming!

Unfortunately grant advancement doesn't apply to me as it's not a traditional student grant (I don't qualify for that as I live with my parents so their income is assessed instead of mine - I'm 27, went back to uni to do my PhD). What I get is a lump sum scholarship and I have to pay my fees out of it and then make the remainder stretch the full year. After fees I've got roughly €6k left, and as the last cheque came in 18 months ago I'm quite proud of myself that last week was the first time a bill or order of any description went unmet! Hopefully this year's cheque will come this week :)

Back