Stove and Thermostat in living room - downstairs rooms not heated

stobear

Hi, a fairly simple dilemma for those in the know, so please teach me.

We have two thermostat's, one in the living room and one upstairs. When the stove is lit, the other downstairs rooms are not being heated by the gas heating when its on, so only oune room is warm. The upstairs rooms heat ok because the thermostat is not affected by the heat from the stove. So is it just a matter of moving the downstairs thermostat to a different room so its sensors are not impacted by the stove heat? Is it a tricky job? Is there another solution?

Thanks

Yep, move the thermostat. As you rightly said, it is doing it's job by regulating the heat. Unfortunately the heat is limited to the room it is in, because of the stove. I presume it is wired, and is most likely on mains power, i.e. 220V. So you would need to get a professional. The easiest, if possible, would be to move it to the other side of the wall it is on, e.g. if the other side of the wall is in the hall, then boring a hole through and just moving and reconnecting it would work. If it is on a stud partition, even easier. If this is not possible, then chasing the wiring (hopefully in a conduit) and installing it in a different location is an answer.

Another option, if the one above is not viable, is to replace it with a wireless thermostat, e.g. the Danfoss TP series. This does the same task, but without all the mess of rewiring.

Before you do any electrical works do some basic checks first, bleed the radiators downstairs and check that no valves are stuck, just in case it is something as simple as that

Same thing happened in my home. Thermostat was placed in hallway over radiator. Kept cutting out as it though the whole downstairs was the same temperature. Moved it beside front door and the difference was amazing. That was eight years ago.
Got new front door last month and we are more amazed. Didn't realise how drafty our old one was.

Back