Storage heater working non stop when the night switch is on

Tiziana

Hi,
I have a problem with the storage heaters since yesterday.
They look extremely old (no input-output settings or timer).

The main heater is in the livingroom and it has 2 switches: one to use it day time (it works like a fan) and the other one for night use (when it's on the heater works only with the low energy rates).

Then there is a small heater in the hall which only has the night switch.
I normally use only the "night switches" and they worked just fine. But yesterday I noticed that now when the "night switch" is on both heaters work even during the day time.

Are you able to advice on what it could be the problem? I would like to have an idea before calling the landlord.

Thanks!

I normally use only the "night switches" and they worked just fine. But yesterday I noticed that now when the "night switch" is on both heaters work even during the day time.
How do you know it's charging during the day though ? Is there a light beside the switch which is on all day ? By design storage heaters go 'on' at night time to store the heat then emit the heat out during the day. They would take 24 hours to cool down after switching them off. Maybe I'm misreading the post though so apologies if I'm way off.

Hi thanks for replying. I know it because normally I leave the switch on in the morning when I go to work (around 6.30) knowing that it will switch off automatically at 8 when the night saving period finishes. However on Thursday when I came back the room was overheated (23 degrees) and the heater was rosting and smelling. Yesterday I also tried to set the night switch on when the small heater was completely cool and it warmed up even if it was afternoon.

I hope it clarify your question.

Are you in a shared building? Have a chat with some of your neighbours and see if they have same issue...
Is there a chance someone has messed around with the timers on the night saver meters?
In my building there are warnings on all the nightsaver meters not to interfere with them, which leads me to suspect someone attempted it at some point...

Or check the meters area for the timer and see if someone has changed it. Should be fairly obvious by looking at the timer if you can locate it..

Hi thanks for replying everyone. I live in a block of apartments and I don't have access to the meters but the electrician suggested to contact ESB to check if the clocktimer broke. I'm going to call them on Monday. Thanks for helping!

Do you own or are you renting? If you own, you should request the managing agent check out the meters. If renting, contact your landlord.

The metres will be inside the door in the communal hallway of the apartments. You should be able to access it easily.

Back