Stately homes/castles for wedding

ney001

I have searched through some of the wedding threads but am looking for some other ideas for a wedding venue in Ireland. We were previously thinking about going foreign but have decided against it. Now looking into hiring a venue for the day and getting married at the same venue i.e no church etc. I was looking for personal experiences of stately homes or castles which can be hired for the day for eg) tankardstown house, crom castle etc. We will be having a small wedding prob between 50 and 60 people. Does anybody have any other suggestions for slightly unusual venues to get married in - not a hotel.

Thanks guys

Hi,

I have worked in a few of the castles mentioned above.

Kinnitty is, i feel, over priced. It has held a few celeb weddings and now trades on that name.

Markee is lovely, i only gigged there last Saturday. Nice room and lovley staff.

Wineport in Athlone, ok only a restaurant. but set on a lake and the food is quite simpley amazing !!

You can also hire places like Marley house in Dublin. But you will have to bring in your own catering team etc for a venue such as this.

I worked in Cloon castle also a few years ago. Nice but i think Markree is my choice. But is location in the country a problem for you ??

hi location not a problem although if at all possible we would like something in Leinster. Just looking for something a little different to the norm and the venue has to cater for a smaller party - I don't want to have 50 people rattling around in a huge room - i'm looking for something a little more intimate. tall order I know thanks for all input

I attended a full civil wedding at Cloonacauneen Castle recently.

The venue for the long 20 minuate service was really fab and this room is then rearranged for the meal. If you are only having that small number this vene will be perfect IMO.

We had our wedding at Kinnitty, and we loved it. We looked at Markree but they gave us the run-around.

So many people said to us that the meal at Kinnitty was the best they had ever tasted at a wedding do.
Our party was 85, and the venue is perfect for a wedding that size or smaller. It is possible then to do the Long Table arrangement which looks amazing when lit by candlelight.
The attention to detail was excellent and I would highly recommend Kinnitty. We got married on New Years Day and all the guests came down the night before and celebrated new years eve in the village and we had a ball.
Good luck!

I've been to two weddings in Waterford Castle, and think it might be ideal for a wedding party of your size. It's quite quirky, on a river-island just past Ardkeen Hospital in Waterford City. Think stone walls, deer head & antlers, oak floors, ginormous fireplace, beautifully prepared food, four poster beds etc: all of it the real deal. Not stuffy either, just the right balance. Excellent venue.

http://www.waterfordcastle.com/

..if you do book there.. any chance of an invite? ;)

as usual guys you've been a great help - will get a few minutes later to have a look at all of these - and of course you're all invited... although personally I hate weddings and all the rubbish that goes with them... even my own! :eek:

Hi there,
I think Mountainstown house is no longer available to as a guest house. We stayed there 2 years ago for our anniversery - we stayed there the first night we got married. The woman that own the place told me that her son was buying it from her and his family would be moving in..

[broken link removed]

but it was a lovely place to stay..

The best wedding I have been at was at Inch House,near Thurles, Co.Tipp. Fantastic atmosphere and Grub. Well worth having a look at. Perfect - made to measure for around 50 people

If you want to go further you could try Ashford Castle, in Cong, Co.Mayo which would be qood for a smaller crowd than a huge event.

ASHFORD CASTLE IS GORGEOUS,LOVELY GROUNDS,AND HOTEL...WE HAVE A HOLIDAY HOME DOWN THERE AND WE ONCE SAW BRAD PITT WALKING THE STREETS THERE WHILE STAYING IN THE CASTLE!.......IF ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE PITTS!!!.....

ALSO I KNOW YOUR NOT LOOKING FOR A CHURCH BUT I THINK THIS IS THE SWEETEST SPOT TO GET MARRIED IN UP IN DONEGAL,A WEE WHITE CHAPEL BY THE SEA....

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

I agree, Ashford Castle is lovely for a smaller wedding. I was at ceremony and reception in Ashford a few years ago and it was perfect. The ceremony was a very informal, short civil one in the small room where the large inglenook fireplace is where all the congregation stood then went into the adjoining room for a fab meal. For smaller numbers, a more intimate setting and beautiful surroundings you cant beat it.

Oilpainting - we have a house near there also and saw Cindy Crawford in Ashford. If its good enough for her then that will do me.

There is a small Manor House in Ballon Co Carlow cant think of the name but Im sure you would find it on the net.

Nice place

Back