Brendan Burgess

Founder
[broken link removed]

Closing date 25 June

Entity: Voluntary Health Insurance (VHI) Board
Board Meeting Location: Dublin
Number of Vacancies: 1
Remuneration: €15,750
(It should be noted that in line with the ‘One Person One Salary’ principle, no public servant
will be entitled to receive remuneration in the form of board fees, save for situations that are
statutorily provided for e.g. Worker Directors.).
Time Requirements: Approximately 7 meetings per annum

1. Background

The Voluntary Health Insurance Board (VHI), trading as VHI Healthcare, is a not-for-profit
semi-State body which is the State’s largest provider of private health insurance. The Board
was established at a time when a substantial percentage of the population, whose income
was above a certain level, had no entitlement to free or partially free medical or surgical
services. Since that time, eligibility for public health and personal social services has been
significantly extended and the private health insurance market has been opened to
competition. There are at present three other privately owned companies providing private
health insurance and competing with VHI in the open market.
2. Functions of the Board
The main function of the Board is to make and carry out health insurance schemes as it sees
fit, in accordance with section 2 of the Voluntary Health Insurance (Amendment) Act 1996.

In addition to this, the Board acts as an agent for an international health insurance plan, in
accordance with section 1 of the Voluntary Health Insurance (Amendment) Act, 1998, and
may also carry out schemes for the provision of services in respect of health care, health
insurance, illness related insurance, personal care or related activities, in accordance with
section 7 of the Voluntary Health Insurance (Amendment) Act 2008.

3. Person Specification

The Minister for Health invites expressions of interest from suitably qualified candidates for a
vacancy on the board of VHI.

Candidate must demonstrate:
 Extensive senior executive/management level insurance experience, gained across
either general management or senior finance, underwriting, claims, strategy or risk
positions. It is preferable that this experience is in the area of health insurance,
however, other non-life, life insurance or reinsurance experience will be considered.

It is also desirable that candidates:
 have wider European (or other international/and/or regulated entity experience)
 previous board experience or corporate governance experience

I think it would be a good general strategy for consumers to apply for these positions expressing their experience as a consumer to be their qualification.

Brendan

I disagree. If I were the HR-hiring manager, I would simply point to the existing market-research as a basis for getting better insight into the impact of VHI on ordinary consumers than one sole individual who likely is not at all representative of VHIs consumer base (judging from the targeted plans they already offer)

Back