Spray Foam problem ..advise please

dragonboy

Hi, I have been living in my current house ( built 1960) for 5yrs now and never had a problem with condensation, we got the attic spray foamed ( open cell and they used the ventilation boards) just 6 weeks ago and now we have condensation on all the windows and I just discovered a large black mould patch behind my curtain in the bedroom, I am now worried sick thatt the entire house will be ruined and or attic beams rotting, I am so freaked out I just want it taken out now any one have any advise please.... a friend of mine used the same company a few years ago and highly recommend them she has not had any issues, but her house is only 20 yes old

It is a ventilation issue, refer back to the firm that looked after the installation and they will advise as it has to be something they have come across before.

Not sure how insulation in the attic impacts the area below the ceiling.

A 1960's house has very poor insulation and ventilation. The insulation of your attic may have shown up a poor ventilation issue that exists in your house. Don't remove the insulation but explore further the ventilation of your rooms.

When our house was insulated, walls with beads and new layers in attic, they made lots of new vents in the fascia board with the specific purpose of preventing attic timbers rotting by ventilating it, said it was part of the regulation, as we were unsure they put so many in it was like a hurricane blowing in the attic. We've always had condensation and mould even though house only built in 2005, but the insulation has made no difference either way. I think the windows are our issue , quality not great.

Back