Spouse pension if retired public servant dies

Ollie11

My spouse is a public servant post 1995 entrant.
At a high level my understanding of his pension is that when he retires he will get 50% of his final salary. His state pension is included in this figure.
At the moment his gross is 2k per week so for example pension would be 1k in total ( no additional state pension).

I will have an entitlement to full state pension myself. If he dies before me I as a spouse will get 50% of his pension.

My question is is this 50% of 1k (500) or 50% of 1k less his state pension? (500-265)

Example from the pension authority
James is a member of a pension scheme. His pension is €30,000 per year and he is covered for a spouse's pension benefit of 50% of pension. If James dies, a pension benefit of €15,000 per year is payable to his spouse or civil partner.

If your husband qualifies for a full pension then your survivors pension will be 50% of his Occupational Pension (which is not 50% of his pensionable salary).

Let's say John qualifies for a "full" pension on a salary of €100,000 pa. His Occupational Pension would be €36,200 (if he is over 66 his State Pension would currently be €13,800). His wife's Survivor's Pension would be 50% of €36,200. She should also be eligible for a Social Welfare Benefit (Widow's Pension based on her own or her spouses's PRSI record, or State Contributory Pension on her own record).

This relates to a full pension.

If your husband were to qualify for less than a full pension the calculation is somewhat different but the same principle applies.

If your husband qualifies for a full pension then your survivors pension will be 50% of his Occupational Pension (which is not 50% of his pensionable salary).

Let's say John qualifies for a "full" pension on a salary of €100,000 pa. His Occupational Pension would be €36,200 (if he is over 66 his State Pension would currently be €13,800). His wife's Survivor's Pension would be 50% of €36,200. She should also be eligible for a Social Welfare Benefit (Widow's Pension based on her own or her spouses's PRSI record, or State Contributory Pension on her own record).

This relates to a full pension.

If your husband were to qualify for less than a full pension the calculation is somewhat different but the same principle applies.
HI Early Riser,

When i put those figures into the HSE pension estimator, it gives a widow's pension of 21539 Euros.

This is for post 95, but pre 2004 workers.

So, is there another calculation which is used. The widow's payment seems to be more than 50% of the occupational element of the pension.

Back