Speeding summons time

roker

I was driving along the other day at 90 kph my sat nav said max 100 kph. Due to ambiguous signage I later found out it was 80 mph limit. I then notice the camera van, if they caught me how long for the summons to arrive?

Due to ambiguous signage
How was the signage ambiguous?
Normally you see a speed limit sign and that applies until you see another one that changes the limit.
I wouldn't bank on satnavs being correct.

I was driving along the other day at 90 kph my sat nav said max 100 kph. Due to ambiguous signage I later found out it was 80 mph limit. I then notice the camera van, if they caught me how long for the summons to arrive?
I doubt you will get a summons. You might get a fine and points added to your licence.

Normally you see a speed limit sign and that applies until you see another one that changes the limit.
It was ambiguous because it was just off a 100kph road and sign for 80 was turned 45 deg from the road, but that is not the point of my question

That's what I meant, how long for notification
I was in a similar position.

I'm not a fast driver, I rarely overtake cars etc but I was as my Dad use to say, driving on.

I gave it 2 weeks.

It was ambiguous because it was just off a 100kph road and sign for 80 was turned 45 deg from the road,
Well then go back and, if it's safe to do so, take a picture.

You can request a write-off of the fine and points on the basis of ambiguous signage and, if you feel it's worth it, argue it in front of a judge eventually.

I was driving along the other day at 90 kph my sat nav said max 100 kph.
On the off chance that it was the speedo displaying 90 km/h, you might actually have been close enough to the limit to avoid penalty.

The sat nav is incorrect all over the country, they can only work on information given to them. The Irish transport should correct this.
If they adopted the UK system only in kph, you could practically drive without signs,
motoways and dual carriageway 70 mph secondary roads 60mph residential areas 30mph, and none of this nonsense of going through a 60 kph sign before a 50 sign.

The sat nav is incorrect all over the country, they can only work on information given to them. The Irish transport should correct this.
All changes to Irish speed limits are published in advance so this is one for the Sat Nav producers to fix. Some are quicker than others to update, generally the ones you pay for are better at updating. Garmin or Sygic for example publish 3 updates a year on their standard plans, but the Sygic Premium offering gives you monthly updates at an additional cost.

If they adopted the UK system only in kph, you could practically drive without signs,
motoways and dual carriageway 70 mph secondary roads 60mph residential areas 30mph, and none of this nonsense of going through a 60 kph sign before a 50 sign.
The UK operate pretty much the same way we do, with 20, 30, 50, 60 & 70mph limits in places. It's not mandatory to have a 60 mk/h zone in advance of a 50 km/h zone here, the closest 50km limit area to me goes straight from 100 to 50. In many cases the conditions dictate a 60km/h zone is appropriate.

All changes to Irish speed limits are published in advance so this is one for the Sat Nav producers to fix. Some are quicker than others to update, generally the ones you pay for are better at updating. Garmin or Sygic for example publish 3 updates a year on their standard plans, but the Sygic Premium offering gives you monthly updates at an additional cost.

The UK operate pretty much the same way we do, with 20, 30, 50, 60 & 70mph limits in places. It's not mandatory to have a 60 mk/h zone in advance of a 50 km/h zone here, the closest 50km limit area to me goes straight from 100 to 50. In many cases the conditions dictate a 60km/h zone is appropriate.
I have to disagree with your version of UK system it's much more simple.
There an Irish road near me that goes 100 to 80 to 60 to 50 in about a kilometer

I have to disagree with your version of UK system it's much more simple.
How so? Our legislation is very similar to theirs with similar guidelines dictating what limits should be in place on any given stretch of road.

There an Irish road near me that goes 100 to 80 to 60 to 50 in about a kilometer
And is there an increase in the density of population along that stretch? I'm not aware of any official guidance here, but in the UK they advise that a limit zone should be 600m or longer, but it's not a hard and fast rule with local authorities free to set shorter zones within their areas where appropriate.

How so? Our legislation is very similar to theirs with similar guidelines dictating what limits should be in place on any given stretch of road.

And is there an increase in the density of population along that stretch? I'm not aware of any official guidance here, but in the UK they advise that a limit zone should be 600m or longer, but it's not a hard and fast rule with local authorities free to set shorter zones within their areas where appropriate.
In UK motorways and dual carriageways are 70mph
In Ireland you can be on a road that looks like a motorway and wonder why it is restricted to 100 kph or how you can go over a humpback bridge at 80kph limit

In UK motorways and dual carriageways are 70mph
The UK national limit concept is exactly the same as ours. The 70 mph 'national limit' that applies to motorways and dual carriageways is not universal, it just specifies the limit that that applies after passing the end of speed limit signage. Most dual carriageways are restricted below 70pmh. When I lived there the dual carriageway closest to me varied regularly between 40, 50, and 60 mph with no 70mph section.

The 'smart' motorways in the UK operate variable speed limits like the M50 does today, but with the added confusion that you are permitted use the hard shoulder as a travelling lane at times. They've also been trialling 60mph limits on a number of motorways in areas of high air pollution.

or how you can go over a humpback bridge at 80kph limit
Limit signs denote the limit, not a target, and guidance is that they should not be used to address individual hazards. Am I right in thinking you're suggesting a lower limit should apply to hump back bridges? Wouldn't that be counter to the argument for fewer short limit zones?

The UK national limit concept is exactly the same as ours. The 70 mph 'national limit' that applies to motorways and dual carriageways is not universal, it just specifies the limit that that applies after passing the end of speed limit signage. Most dual carriageways are restricted below 70pmh. When I lived there the dual carriageway closest to me varied regularly between 40, 50, and 60 mph with no 70mph section.

The 'smart' motorways in the UK operate variable speed limits like the M50 does today, but with the added confusion that you are permitted use the hard shoulder as a travelling lane at times. They've also been trialling 60mph limits on a number of motorways in areas of high air pollution.

Limit signs denote the limit, not a target, and guidance is that they should not be used to address individual hazards. Am I right in thinking you're suggesting a lower limit should apply to hump back bridges? Wouldn't that be counter to the argument for fewer short limit zones?
Note in the UK they do not put a speed limit sign on motorways etc they use a deristriction sign" white background with diagonal black strip, you already know the speed limit by the type of road, no guesswork

Last edited:
Note in the UK they do not put a speed limit sign on motorways etc they use a deristriction sign" white background with diagonal black strip, you already know the speed limit by the type of road, no guesswork
That's not true though, there are plenty of speed limit signs where the derestricted national limit doesn't apply on roads and motorways all across the UK. Just head up the A1 towards Belfast and you'll see them as they're been reducing the extent to which the national limit applies on that road over the years.

All the smart motorways there use gantry signs to denote the lower limits while in effect and motorways, dual carriageways and all other roads use the standard limit signs where lower limits are applied, including the 10 or so motorways with limited speeds zones aimed at reducing air pollution..

Ireland replaced all the derestriction signs some time back as and erected more frequesnt 'reminder' signage within zones to give better clarity as to the speed limit in effect.

Back