solo holiday, not looking for a partner!

marian

i'm interested to hear ideas or advise about a solo holiday.
i'm female and 50. husband doesn't like flying but i want to try a holiday on my own.
i've done the holidays with girl friends but i end up doing what they want.
i want a bit of culture and sightseeing and i was thinking of Poland. love to see Auschwitz and salt mines etc.
i want to do this on my own, so interested to hear from others who might have done the same.
thanks
Marian

Hi Marian,
I went to Krakow on my own a few yrs back. I totally enjoyed the experience.
There are lots of things you can do. I went on some walking tours to see the Castle etc and also Jewish Krakow to see some of the settings for Shindlers List plus the factory.
You can take a trip to Auschwitz and another one to the Saltmines.
I visited Zacopane which is up in the Tatra mountains and well worth seeing - I was there in November so it was like a winter wonderland.
I also did a tour in an old commie car - a step up from a Trabant but still as noisy ! - of the communist architecture plus the once largest factory in Europe.
There are a few hotels recommended if you do a search here on Krakow and most of them are walking distance to the main square.
In short there are so many sights to see and places to explore that you will easily entertain yourself.
I travel a lot on my own as I am not interested in sunbathing or just chilling out like some of my friends. The only drawback I find is that as a sole female I don't tend to go out late at night. I'm quite happy to retire to my room after dinner & watch a movie or read my book. After a busy days sightseeing that's my way of relaxing.
Go for it. You can be totally selfish when you go on your own & do exactly as you please.

thanks perplexed, that's a help. it's the evenings i'm worried about too but i think i'll just have to go for it.

Go for it Marian, I second what Perplexed said about Krakow. It's a great place to visit. Ensure that you pick a centrally located hotel so that you can go out to eat in the evenings without worrying about getting back to the hotel. I visited Krakow some years ago on my own and am happy to recommend Hotel Amber which is 5/10 minutes walk from the main square. Have a look on Tripadvisor, there is so much to see and do, you will be spoilt for choice. Decide how long you think you will be happy to be on your own, say 4/5 nights might be enough. Have a great time!

The only drawback I find is that as a sole female I don't tend to go out late at night. I'm quite happy to retire to my room after dinner & watch a movie or read my book.
Nothing unusual about this. Lots of business travellers would do the same.

I had a solo holiday to Berlin last year. Loved it, lots of sightseeing during the day, went on a walking tour which was excellent.
As it was summer the evenings were bright so it was often 8 oclock before I went back to hotel so the evenings weren't too long.
As someone else said it was lovely to just relax in room and read or watch tv.
I'd also agree with other advice to go for a centrally located hotel then everything is within walking distance.
I tended to eat in the middle of the day, never feel comfortable in a restaurant at night on my own.

Back