Sole Trader Expenses

R

RKIntl

Both my husband and I have recently set up as sole traders and are both working from home at the moment and would appreciate advice on what business expenses we could claim.

I haven't included the nature of our business activities as I wasn't sure if that would be considered advertising but both involve working / being in Morocco & Ireland at different stages throughout the year. Also, Germany and France, but to a leser extent.

My husband's expenses would include the usual:
office equipment & supplies, mobile, advertising & trade fairs, purchase of products, transport of products, bottling & labelling machines, packaging, business trips to Morocco etc.

My expenses would include:
office equipment & supplies, mobile, advertising & trade fairs, purchase of teaching materials, car etc.

Unclear about the following Expenses:
1. Both of us will need to be in Morocco at various times throughout the year – we’re presuming the flights are considered expenses – but would it be possible to rent a small 2 bed apartment and to use this as an “overseas office” and accommodation (saving on hotel bills).
2. Also, I will need a secretary in Morocco – how would this work if I have to lodge her wages from my business account here?
3. We’re both using our private car in the initial stages and working from home.
What can we deduct from household rent / expenses as part of the business expenses? Which documents / records should we keep for this?

4. Any idea on childcare costs – with both of us working, we’ve no option but to get in a full time nanny (not living with us).

And finally, on a slightly different note, I read something somewhere about a minimal amount which can be withdrawn per week as expenses but without having to submit receipts for very small amounts. If you could, would you mind clarifying this?

Many thanks in advance

Ireland only signed a double taxation agreement with Morocco on 22 June 2010. I am not familiar with this agreement so I therefore don't want to comment too much on it. If based on the OECD model, there is a paragraph in it that deals with Business profits and who has primary taxing rights. This will be Morocco if you are deemed to have a permanent establishment there with Ireland having secondary taxing rights with a DTA credit available in Ireland for any Moroccon tax. If the Moroccon tax rate is lower than Ireland, you will have to pay additional Irish tax and none if its higher.

The first question that must be asked - Do you have a Permanent establishment in Morocco? You would need to give the full activities that will be carried out in this 'overseas office' and look to the DTA agreement.

The flights are allowable - the question is where? Also, if taxable in Morocco, other juristictions have different methods of calculating business profits than Ireland so be aware of that.

This is more complicated than you think from a tax perspective. When DTA's need to be referred to, you will have no option but to get expert tax advice.

I see that the DTA I referred to above has not yet been enacted so be very careful.

Last edited:
Back