Smart Smoke Alarms

TurningGreen

Hi,

Two original interlinked wired smoke alarms now defunct and looking to replace. Wondering about smart (phone app to warn of fire) smoke alarms and are they any good and reliable ones. Would be happy to go with a 10 year sealed smart wifi interlinked smoke alarm but so many people seem to have issues after a couple of years. Anybody out there who can recommend a wired/wireless smart interlinked smoke alarms that they have installed?

Thanks in advance

We have wired Google Nest smoke alarms throughout the house for several years and they are excellent. No issues, no false alarms, they test themselves automatically, notifications to phone are reliable. I find the pathway lighting at night is very handy - gentle glow that comes on when it detects movement. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.

@arbitron How much, if you don't mind me asking, please?
€129 - https://store.google.com/product/nest_protect_2nd_gen?hl=en-GB

Have them in our house and while expensive I would definitely recommend them. Far fewer false alarms, no messing with batteries if you wire them in, you can silence from your phone, they act as a nightlight as you pass, they’ll let you know that a small bit of smoke is building up a few minutes before the alarm goes off, so you can open a window if the turkey is on fire etc.

Yes I have them as well.2 wireless one's, one downstairs and one upstairs. Very expensive compared to your bog standard battery one you get in Woodies but as I've also got the nest thermostat and wireless doorbell felt I had no choice and it's nice that they're all on the one app. If you time it correctly the Google store does deals normally around the €50 off

Would also recommend the Google Nest ones - have 4 in the house - wired to replace the dumb ones there before that used to go off too easily - the Nest ones warn you and can be silenced, and also work for CO as well as Smoke. Have them 5 years+ now and zero issues.

i have a relatively new house with maybe 10 or so smoke alarms which are all interlinked, assume this is some building standard requirement.

Guessing i cant just go and replace with nest? (if i wanted to, expensive job obviously)

The best thing about the Nest alarms is they tell you when the battery is running low. No more being woken at 3am and having to sleepily decide if you should evacuate or just turn of off because you can't tell which high pitched screech is which

Back