Small income: sole trader?

Minnow2

Hi,

My wife is taking up some casual work, which will pay approx 2000 in the year with about 1000 additional in mileage. The agency will not look after her tax.

Currently she is not working but hasn't been claiming SW. I have been claiming her full tax free allowance.

What is the best way for her to manage any tax liability? Does she need to fill a Form 11 or 12 at the end of each year? Or should she inform the Revenue now that she is doing some work. I presume that acting as a sole trader is the best way forward.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Form 12 most likely with a very simple set of accounts - income less expenses. Mileage is treated as income with a deduction for motor expenses allowed. I'm not aware that you need to advise the Revenue. The Form 12 should be sufficient notification. It is unlikely that she'll be able to claim social welfare and earn at the same time.

My wife is taking up some casual work, which will pay approx 2000 in the year with about 1000 additional in mileage. The agency will not look after her tax.

Sounds suspiciously like disguised employment. Tread carefully.

It its only 2k odd the earned income tax credit will take care of that. Similarly no USC or PRSI if this is her only source of income. You should submit a Form 12 though.

Back