sky tv in different rooms

SINNO12

Hello there, i am building a new house and am at the wiring stage! I want to be able to watch sky tv in every room in my house, do i need any special cables? Also want be able to watch 2 different channels at one time. Can anyone shed any light on the subject? Thanks!!

It depends if you want to watch 2 different SKY channels at the same time - or just RTE 1 and Sky Sports. In this case it would be best to install a good set of UHF, VHF aerials in the attic and boom this signal around to a TV point in all rooms. Then get SKY and use a standard cable to connect back up to the junction box in the attic - end result you can watch that SKY channel in any room as well as being free to watch RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4. All you need in this case is a TV point in every room and a cable to take the SKY signal from the SKY box up to the attic.

If you want to watch 2 different SKY channels at the same time (Discovery and Sky Sports), you'll need Sky Multi-Room which costs extra every month.

The main principle would be to have 1 central point where all signals are sent - junction box in attic - and then run 1 cable to each room from this junction box.

Hello there, i am building a new house and am at the wiring stage! I want to be able to watch sky tv in every room in my house, do i need any special cables? Also want be able to watch 2 different channels at one time. Can anyone shed any light on the subject? Thanks!!

Not looking good I'm afraid you can watch the same channel in as many rooms as you like but to be able to watch different channels in different rooms you'll need a digi box in every room thats connected to the dish and they charge extra for each additional box I think its an extra E10 per month extra which for every room in your house would make for a pretty rediculous direct debit to SKY not that they would complain or anything :)
Only solution is cable tv for multi room viewing.
What I did in my own house was got sky for the main family room and also hooked up a connection to our bedroom we have to watch the same channel thats on downstairs but at least we can use it when going to bed at night and the box can controlled with a Sky eye link.
I have cable tv hooked up to the rest of the rooms so that should keep everybody happy.

Good Luck ;)

if thinking of sky, run 3 cables to the main viewing point, and if you can 2 to each of the others, one at least. 2 cables are required for sky + and a third can be used for the ouput from the sky + box or for a terrestrial aerial.

Also, stay away from the normal rg6 rubbish. Find some ct100 cable and use that everywhere. Much lower loss cable and worth doing if you can , and it soulds like you're at the right stage. CT100 cable will have CT100 printed on the outside. if you pull back the cover the insulating foil should be copper, not silver. A lot of shops/satellite guys will pass the other stuff off on you and tell you it is ct100, check for yourself. Normal rg6 has a silver insulator.

In relation to Cat 5 cables etc, has anyone else used the homeplugs from which allow you to use your standard home ESB wiring circuit to create computer networks etc. I bought a set of this for 150.00 and would highly recommend them - I have a cable modem (Broadband) in the attic and plug it into a standard 3 pin plug - Then I can use another adapter anywhere in the house to connect to laptop, PC to pick up the broadband connection. I also have a wireless router but given that I have concrete walls and ceiling, the signal gets very poor downstairs. Hence I know plug the wireless router in downstairs - it then picks up the modem and the laptop picks up alot better signal. The adapters can transfer up to 85Mbps through your esb circuit.

You could put a quad LNB on the satellite dish and feed a Sky+ box and a couple of non-Sky boxes?

I've a quad LNB and the skybox and UHF + VHF aerials in the attic. I use remote eyes then in each room. At the moment I have just one sky box using FTA channels But plan to add another two. An expired UK card will allow you to receive Ch 4 for free also. I unfortunately didn't think my wiring through but this works really well (signal/reception wise) with just one RF in each room.

Last edited:
Thanks alot everyone!! Think this should help me. Anybody with any other comments, please leave them!

is ch 4 available on an expired Irish card though - eBay have expired UK cards for 20 stg

I was going to use a Sky HD box in the Living room with the output going back to the Dining Room as I figure we'll be in either room but not both at the same time. Then I was going to get a Sky + box on a multi room Sub in my comms room and distribute this signal to the Kitchen, Bedrooms & Games room, all with remote eyes back to the comms room. Does this sound like a workable plan?

Back