Sky switching to streaming and away from the satellite dish?

redstar

Sky look like gradually replacing delivery of programming over Sky dishes by 2028 with Sky Glass and Sky Stream.

TV via dish will still be available until then at least.

Last edited:
I don’t know why they didn’t just develop their sky go app further ages ago. Sky glass is ridiculous

Yeah, I mentioned this a while ago in another thread, but they have signalled to their installers in the UK that they will be drastically reducing their numbers over the coming years. Their deal with Astra for broadcast ends in 2028, they have yet to commit to any deal beyond that.

I can see the appeal to them of the Sky Glass product, a nice markup on the equipment and simpler for support when they can test new features and updates in more detail prior to release. The app means they have to repeat testing for each new OS version and most new phone models that come onto the market.

Moved from Sky last year after more than twenty years to a Freesat box. Realised we only predominantly watched free-to-air channels on Sky and that their subscription was a pure waste of money. The savings on Sky's monthly sub has already far exceeded the outlay of the Freesat box.

No sign of Freesat going away anytime soon (if ever).

What’s Sky Glass like in terms of a TV?
Extremely heavy......

We renovated last year and the dish was taken down and got lost. So I decided to try out Sky Glass instead of the dish. I'm no tech wizard, but the TV seems decent and reviews indicated the same. I'll probably get rid of it and try to move directly to the streaming puck.

I will say the TV is incredibly heavy and I would be very hesitant to mount it to a wall on any sort of movable wall bracket.

The overall service takes a bit to get used to, there are some annoying interface issues in comparison to the regular Sky Q.

No sign of Freesat going away anytime soon (if ever).
They held a public consultation last year on the future of their service, the focus was very much on a move towards IP based services rather than satellite, but they haven't indicated they'll be switching off any time soon, but it will be interesting to see if it will be in SES's interests to replace the current Astra satellite carrying those channels when it reaches end of life towards the end of this decade given Sky have been a significant source of income.

I'm not with Sky, but I think with Sky Glass streaming you are limited in access to recording of some UK programmes especially BBC. You have limited iPlayer access but may not be able to record programmes where the Irish rights have been assigned.

I'm not with Sky, but I think with Sky Glass streaming you are limited in access to recording of some UK programmes especially BBC. You have limited iPlayer access but may not be able to record programmes where the Irish rights have been assigned.
Is this why I haven't been able to watch the apprentice!!

Hopefully Freesat continues beyond the end of this decade. I have been using a combi satellite receiver to get the free Saorview and the Freesat channel for well over ten years now.
I wouldn't mind the reduction of those niche channels in the link in Leo's post, once the BBC's, ITV's and Channel 4/5 channels stayed.

We're a bit snookered here in Ireland when compared to the UK to view 'free UK channels' if Freesat eventually does disappear.

We're a bit snookered here in Ireland when compared to the UK to view 'free UK channels' if Freesat eventually does disappear.
It will be interesting to hear what comes of the Ofcom consultation, but it's interesting to note they mention that DTT population coverage is at 99% Vs 98% for Freesat, so that might suggest they'd be in favour of limiting the funding for Freesat. It also mentons there are global discussions underway that could see reduced spectrum dedicated to DTT purposes as the demand for mobile comms grows.

I am surprised there is no free streaming of all the tv channels.
The news channels have this, but I dont see why all the standard channels dont just have live streaming. Surely it would increase their global reach.

Surely it would increase their global reach.
Regional licensing is the main blocker. We're at a point where most of the major content producers are running their own paid streaming services and so are very restrictive as to the licensing of their content. So long as there is more money to be made by restricting their content to paid streamers, they won't allow it to go free-to-air.

What about advertising ?
Surely with a wider audience, it would increase revenues. Ok, not all ads would be applicable to people overseas, but a lot would.

What about advertising ?
Surely with a wider audience, it would increase revenues. Ok, not all ads would be applicable to people overseas, but a lot would.
If there was enough money to be made through advertising alone, they'd jump at it and save the millions they are pumping into setting up their streaming platforms.

Back