Site on house

clionaricho

So we have a house with quite a large side garden, certainly enough to build a house. We are thinking of selling it as we don't use it an would certainly welcome the money. So I have no idea where to start so any advice would be welcome. Don't want to shell out too much in case this doesn't materialise. So just need advice where to start, is there someone I could talk to at my local authority to see if it is feasible before I get an architect. Also would it better (if we were able to fund it ) to build or just sell as a site with planning?

Any advice at all would be welcome
Thanks in advance

1. Get an ordinance survey map (cheap, buy from ordinance survey).
2. Look up your local authority planning division and read the regulations regards building on side gardens. See the requirements for back garden size and access/entrance.
3. Roughly measure the free space allowing for separation from your own house.
4. It has to be detached house, you cant add a new house on to a terrace or semi-d.
5. If it looks ok, go to the planning office of the local authority- public counter.
6. Tell them what you have in mind.
7. They will tell you if it is NOT feasible, otherwise they will say it could suceed.
8. Get an architect to draw up a planning application only and get it submitted.
9. Review similar applications in your area as this is generally driven by precedent.
10. Get planning and sell.

remember that if you have a mortgage on the property the Bank/BS approval will be rquired for any relaese of a site. they may demand that all/portion of site sale proceeds are used to reduce the mortgage balance.

Thank you runner and 44brendan for your advice, much appreciated.
Just one question on that, just to clarify, would I need to have house plans done up to show the council or would they tell me from the OS map and measurements whether it might be feasible ?Would they see me without plans ?

Hi Clionaricho

From no.7 and no.9 of runners post - be a little bit careful when they say it "could" succeed, that is no guarantee that it will (even if it's mentioned in conversation at the public counter that it might fly). Which local authority are you dealing with ? is it in Dublin e.g. South Dublin Co Co or Dun Laoire Rathdown - both of these have excellent web planning search facilities where you can see what's got granted/refused before. Remember not to break building lines of the street / ridge lines this can frequently be a reason an application gets "shot down". Try to find other sites near to you where these type of infill sites / corner sites have been granted/refused.

Also, be aware of the Tax Treatment (CGT) of the route you decide to go - you could trigger CGT on the sale of the site, versus if you move from your current house to the new house (which would then be your Principal Private Residence) take a look at Revenue's website on CGT frequently asked questions.

and you should also get tax advice with regard to this if necessary.

Good luck with it

Brian

www . bmarchitecturalservices . ie

Back