Site built on without permission: land grab?

keepon

I am co-owner of a very small plot of land, less than half an acre, in a quiet rural area near a villager, suitable for but without pp for housing. No one has done anything with the site since we acquired it through inheritance many years ago, primarily I suppose because of its multiple ownership, and we very rarely visit it, but we've always had vague plans to develop it for a holiday home or homes.

Having last seen the site about three years ago, I visited it recently and discover that a quite permanant-looking mobile home has been built on part of it, along with a hard gravel access road. The site appears to have electricity and waste services, so presumably also has water and some form of sewage setup.

I'm at a loss as to how this can happen, and wondering what to do next. The main concern at the moment is that possession is nine-tenths etc, and the occupants are aiming for squatter's rights and probably are locally connected, which we are not. I'd be grateful for any informed guidance on where to start with this...

Very simple - consult respectively your co-owners and a solicitor, urgently.

Also order and check a copy of the folio on landdirect.ie. It costs €5.
Thanks... I have the folio clearly showing no additional site or sites.

I am sure that a solicitor would be able to get an order to vacate the site, or similar, if necessary. My concern is how that would be enforced. Does the council have a role here or do they tolerate random development like this? And how did they get services without proof of ownership?

My concern is how that would be enforced. Does the council have a role here or do they tolerate random development like this? And how did they get services without proof of ownership?
These are questions you need to be asking your solicitor.

I'd be concerned that one or other of the co-owners gave permission without your knowledge or consent. But without specifics, we're just shooting in the dark here.

Last edited:
Back