Siro want access to put up broadband on the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

muinteoir

Can you tell me if this is legit? Siro are in the area putting up boxed and cables on houses. I already have internet and a satelite provided from another provider. I have the old NTL cable as well. I do not want to add another cable to the outside of the house. Also concerned about the general way this was approached with neighbours. Has anyone had ant contact from this company or know anything about them.

My sister gets free or heavily discounted Virgin Media TV/broadband for letting them route cables via her house. Maybe that's an option unless you simply don't want them to install cables/gear?

Siro are jointly owned by the ESB and Vodafone, and are wholesale providers of Fibre to the Home broadband. I presume Sky are your TV/broadband providers at the moment. You may find that without Siro, they may not be able to offer you higher broadband speeds in the future.

My sister gets free or heavily discounted Virgin Media TV/broadband for letting them route cables via her house. Maybe that's an option unless you simply don't want them to install cables/gear?

I also have a family member with a similar arrangement - if you can negotiate a free service, it's a great perk.

Siro ae unlike Virgin (NTL/UPC in the past) in that they do not directly provide internet services to customers - this would come through Sky, Blacknight, Pure etc

Yes - I understand that, they provide the infrastructure, so they could agree a credit system, and let you use whichever service provider you like.

I'm sure you aren't the first person who will have asked them for compensation, in return for letting them run cables across your property, so no doubt they have a solution.

I also have a family member with a similar arrangement - if you can negotiate a free service, it's a great perk.
Thanks for all the answers. This might be worth a try but I'm locked into package with Sky for at least another 8 months.

Can you tell me if this is legit? Siro are in the area putting up boxed and cables on houses. I already have internet and a satelite provided from another provider. I have the old NTL cable as well. I do not want to add another cable to the outside of the house. Also concerned about the general way this was approached with neighbours. Has anyone had ant contact from this company or know anything about them.
Sorry but you would be very foolish not to allow Siro connect your house. The technology is well ahead of previous versions. And they connect you free of charge. I have no doubt that if you are not connected now while they are doing your area you may have to pay heavily in the future, when you discover that everyone else's broadband is better than yours.

Sky resell Siro, so if fibre to the home through Siro became available they'd be able to upgrade your package.
What speeds are you getting at the moment - Fibre to the Home though Siro currently has packages of up to 1000Mb

Sorry but you would be very foolish not to allow Siro connect your house....

Ah, maybe there's a misunderstanding here - and if it's on my part, then I apologise (and, eh, blame Clubman ;) )....

Is the issue regarding a connection to the home, or is the issue about SIRO wanting to run cables and boxes across the original poster's property, for the benefit of others?

If its simply for connection to the home, then I'm mistaken, there won't be an opportunity to get free / discounted services.

However, if SIRO need to use the original posters property to gain access to other properties, then there should be an opportunity for the original poster to get some benefit, in return for facilitating access.

Yes - I assumed that the issue was that Siro wanted to install/route cables on the property while installing their stuff in the neighbourhood.
But now I can see that the original post is ambiguous.

I'm not 100% what the situation is myself. The neighbours were approached to have the cables and boxes put up on their houses. We are part of a terrace of 6 houses. I haven't been approached yet and wanted to see if the whole thing was legit. I don't think anyone signed up with them. The installer just arrived in an unmarked van and asked for access to their houses to put up the cables and boxes. I tried to find a contact number online for Siro and none exists! It seemed very random and having had people offer to do things like clean guttering I was concerned it might be dodgy.

Last edited:
Siro install along the terrace, the boxes are distribution points so houses can be connected when service is ordered off Sky, Pure, 3 etc
Some background here

Siro install along the terrace, the boxes are distribution points so houses can be connected when service is ordered off Sky, Pure, 3 etc
Some background here
Great thanks a million.

FWIW SIRO ran fibre into my estate a couple of years ago. Houses are all semi-d so it may be different to how they're handing terraced houses, but in our case they run the fibre along existing electricity poles on the road and only request access to your house if you order a connection from one of their providers. At that point somebody would come back out and string a fibre from your house to the nearest electricity pole and connect you into the system.

It seems plausible that for terraced houses where they cannot run fibre to each house individually they're getting ahead by having permission in-place for when somebody else orders. While it's possible it could be a scam, they should only need access to the outside of the house at this stage so it should be obvious if they start asking for permission to root through your sock drawer that something is up.

FWIW I'd agree with the others that the 1000Mb/s speeds offered by SIRO/Eir fibre is fantastic and extremely reliable, so I'd take their arm off to have it available to your house!

FWIW I'd agree with the others that the 1000Mb/s speeds offered by SIRO/Eir fibre is fantastic and extremely reliable, so I'd take their arm off to have it available to your house!
That'd be my view. The network planner might decide that a six house terrace isn't worth any special negotiations and either skip the six or run the fibre as far as your neighbour. They probably won't come back later if you change your mind!

FWIW SIRO ran fibre into my estate a couple of years ago. Houses are all semi-d so it may be different to how they're handing terraced houses, but in our case they run the fibre along existing electricity poles on the road and only request access to your house if you order a connection from one of their providers. At that point somebody would come back out and string a fibre from your house to the nearest electricity pole and connect you into the system.

It seems plausible that for terraced houses where they cannot run fibre to each house individually they're getting ahead by having permission in-place for when somebody else orders. While it's possible it could be a scam, they should only need access to the outside of the house at this stage so it should be obvious if they start asking for permission to root through your sock drawer that something is up.

You know that you can get the same speed from Virgin, right?

As the original poster seems to have Virgin's predecessors equipment already (ie NTL's cables), it's reasonable to assume that they've already got the option of fast broadband. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back