Single, Separate or Joint Assessment for PAYE ?

Discussion in 'Tax' started by Skyfall, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Skyfall

Skyfall Registered User

Recently married couple, one retired public servant, one in employment, taxable income of each(public service pension & employment) at 20% rate.
    Is there any benefit in opting for joint assessment for tax purposes here ? From limited knowledge of tax bands & allowances, I cant see any advantage of opting for joint over single assessment in the above circumstances ? Am I correct in this assumption ?

2. wonko

wonko Frequent Poster

Hard to see an advantage there, but very little information. However tax wise it would take an exceptional set of circumstances where joint assessment is a disadvantage. Remember once you are married, joint assessment is automatic, you must specifically opt out (after the year of marriage, where special rules apply)

Skyfall likes this.
  3. seamus1968

seamus1968 Registered User

Wonko sorry to enter this discussion.
    I have been married since 2008 but never communicated it to the revenue. Me and my wife are assessed separately.
    I never knew that revenue must be informed once you get married. I asked some of my colleagues today at lunch and most didn't know either.
    Is it a big problem not informing revenue when one gets married ?

Thanks
    Seamus

Skyfall likes this.
  4. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Frequent Poster

Strictly, you are supposed to advise Revenue of changes in your personal circumstances.

You are currently, assessed to income tax under separate treatment.

Generally, that is not a problem unless one spouse can benefit from unused credits or rate bands of the other spouse - for instance, if one spouse suffers a salary reduction or becomes unemployed – in that case joint assessment is the best option.

However, people often do not realize that joint assessment can only be claimed during the currency of a tax year, i.e. a claim for joint assessment for 2017 must be made during 2017. It cannot be claimed retrospectively.

Skyfall likes this.
  5. wonko

wonko Frequent Poster

It, not usually a big problem Seamus for the Revenue, if anyone is missing out its you not them.

Skyfall likes this.
  6. seamus1968

seamus1968 Registered User

Thanks folks for the answers
    Seamus