single mortgage boyfriend paying half

cle

Myself and my partner are buying house but only i will draw the mortgage. We have decided to not get a joint mortgage as this will affect his unemployment benefit as he would be considered my dependant. By getting single mortgage he will keep his entitlements. As he will still be paying half of everything what are his legal rights to the house. Can we get a legal document drawn up indicating his interest in house even though he wont be on mortgage. It would seem unfair for him to pay half and have no real "ownership"!!! ANY advice would be much appreciated, ta!!!

Whether he is on the mortgage or not is irrelevant for SW purposes. If he lives there with you, you will be considered a couple for assessments.
If he is on benefit, it will make no difference, if he is on a means tested allowance, it will.

What exactly is the difference? I dont think he is being means tested at the moment. He only signed on about eight months ago and they never asked about having a partner etc, he just automatically qualified

I'd be very careful if I was you. If you get the mortgage by yourself you will be 100% liable for all repayments regardless of any ownership you want to give your boyfriend. Do you really want to give him the benefit of owning half of what ever is paid in without any liability for the debt?

If he is on jobseeker's benefit he will not be effected by having you having declared him as your partner. If he moves to jobseeker's allowance, or is on it now, and you don't declare that you are living together and he continues to get maximum payment - that is welfare fraud and if you're caught could effect both of your future entitlements to welfare payments.

What is the difference between jobseekers benefit and allowance?Sorry now for all the questions.

Jobseeker's benefit is not means tested - it's based on the number of stamps you have paid.

Jobseeker's allowance is means tested.

benefit is based on the stamps you pay every week, and is not means tested.
allowance is if you don't have the stamps paid, or have run out of your entitlement to benefit, and that is means tested.

ok thanks for clearing that up for me, much appreciated.Would one normally lose all their allowance if the partner was working? That seems unfair if the couple have to rely on one wage and they not even married!!Looks like the joint mortgage route is the best route then!

It would be means tested so it depends on your income and any other savings that your boyfriend might have. You are right it is unfair, you wouldn't even be able to claim your boyfriend's tax credits. Joint mortgage is better protection for you. When signing for the house your solicitor will ask if you want to be joint owners on tenants in common. The first option gives you 50/50 ownership, the latter lets you specify what portion each person owns - but for mortgage purposes you'd each be considered 100% liable still.

its not like he will be unemployed forever! We are in a recession right now and its best time to buy!It is unfair for him to lose his entitlements because of my wage, for all they know we could be two friends buying a house. Would i then be liable still for my friend? I doubt it!!!

Just because you don't like the rules and just because the rules are not fair doesn't mean you should try and defeat the system. You need to work with the system. Can you both afford a mortgage? What makes you so sure that now is a good time to buy? Do you have a deposit?

I am not trying to defeat the system but i do think it is unfair. In my opinion it is a good time to buy.

I am not trying to defeat the system ...
Your first post contains the sentences ...
... We have decided to not get a joint mortgage as this will affect his unemployment benefit as he would be considered my dependant. By getting single mortgage he will keep his entitlements. ...
I think Bronte's comment that you seemed to want to "... try and defeat the system ..." is a fair one.

i needed the facts thats all. I think buying a house solely and having a landlord agreement with my boyfriend is all above aboard thanks very much. Its the very same as me renting a room to a friend.

All i wanted was some advice which i now have so thank you very much! Going to get a joint mortgage, fairest for all parties concerned

i needed the facts thats all. I think buying a house solely and having a landlord agreement with my boyfriend is all above aboard thanks very much. Its the very same as me renting a room to a friend.

This is so incorrect a proposition, you are refusing to see any FACTS that don't suit you. Bury your head in the sand if you want but do not come on here in one year's time with a boyfriend who has no job and is living with you and you will be moaning about having to subsidise him.

Nevermind the legal mess of who owns what.

I have to agree with Bronte, there are a number of consequences to consider not least that a bank will not entertain a joint mortgage right now with your partners current employment status. Each party is jointly and severely liable so the risk is too big for them..

Unfortunately if your partner goes for JA - you could be means tested -unfair but thats the system. I can understand your frustration but please think carefully about your options. If things go wrong (which I'm sure in your case won't) - it can be a sticky, messy and expensive legal process to undo! (I know first hand!)

I wish you the best of luck and hope that your partner's situation changes and that you can go for the mortgage and house you want together. It would be wrong for people here to give you misinformation even though its tough to hear it

Hi guys,

i am in a similar position as CLE but my partner is working full and has bad credit that’s why we decided on me just going for the mortgage, but like some answers posted i will be fully liable for the repayments even if he is paying half, can i just give him a small percent ownership of the house. Obviously we are not married yet and i want to cover my ass. Sounds terrible but you have to look after number 1

One thing to note is, a bank is (highly) unlikely to lend a joint mortgage where one party is unemployed.
...In fact, even if he were to secure work tomorrow, they wouldn't consider a mortgage for at least six months, and that is only if its a permanent role, as opposed to a 12mth contract.

So you will likely have to go for mortgage on your own, in which case, you should be very careful of the liability of 100% of said mortgage, given that if you secure it and are subsequently unable to pay, not only will you have the house repossessed, you will STILL be liable for part of the loan if you fall into negative equity (its crazy how many people forget this...if your house is taken off you, you still owe the outstanding debt!)

Back