Laya simplicity policy versus flex 250 choice

delfio

My health ins policy with Laya is coming up for renewal in April, I am currently on flex 250 choice. I noticed snowyb recommend the 'simplicity policy' on another thread and I do like the much lower excess for private hospitals. The flex policy can be renewed online as a new policy for €992.30 versus €1124.78 as a straightforward renewal as per letter received from Laya. The simplicity policy has increased to €1087.28 as from today but I think it represents great value for money.

If I move to simplicity will my current level of cover with flex 250 choice be maintained by which I mean would I have to serve any additional waiting periods due to upgrading my plan? Its a minefield to understand all the different policies and levels of cover.

delfio,

Waiting times only apply to any pre-existing illnesses, in relation to any extra cover on the new plan.
The only extra cover on Simplicity plan is 'cover for a private room in a private hospital.
So, any new illnesses in future would be covered straight away for this extra cover, whereas any pre-existing illnesses would be subject to a 2 year waiting time but only in respect of the private room cover in a private hospital. Otherwise all illnesses would be covered the same as before. If you have no pre-existing illnesses, there is no waiting time to serve after switching.

Another difference which strictly speaking would be classed as an 'upgrade' or extra cover, is the lower private excess 100 compared to 250 before,
and would normally be subject to the 2 year wait for pre-existing illnesses. But Laya healthcare are not strict in applying this rule in respect of
lower excess amounts, so the 100 euro excess would apply straight away.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer snowyb, you are a fantastic source of knowledge on this forum, much appreciated.

Back