Signing for unemployment credits while drawing down ARF

wideawake01

I am a 64 yr old and have started drawing down my ARF. I note that I am paying PRSI at class S1. I am also signing on for unemployment credits since my JSB ended.
Should I sign-off?
As far as I can make out I am formally self-employed based on the class of PRSI I am paying.

You can continue to sign on.
You are still unemployed in the class A system.
Drawing down from an ARF would also not affect Jobseekers Benefit payments.

Last edited:
Many Thanks S class.

I have another question.
Will my ARF drawdown affect my eligibility for the 65 year old payment?
Whilst going through the on-line application I noticed the statement
  • I have not claimed nor am I getting any other benefit, pension or allowance from any source apart from those stated in this form
I am in receipt of an ARF drawdown, but cannot see where I can provide this detail in the on-line application.
Should I seek guidance from the DSP or Intreo in respect of this?

You are allowed ARF drawdowns.

I presume you are qualifing for 65s benefits using your class A Prsi contributions.
You are classed as unemployed in the class A system, so you declare yourself as fully unemployed on the application. You can give details of the income you receive from the ARF in the area where you show bank deposits etc, this will not affect your qualification, as 65s benefit is not means tested.

The reason for checking means on the 65s benefit application is to check if you are entitled to an extra payment for your spouse.

Thanks again S class, I haven't seen any question in relation to bank deposits etc. perhaps I will as I complete the online application.
So I am OK to state that I have not claimed nor am I getting any other benefit, pension or allowance from any source apart from those stated in this form based on the fact that as I complete the application will have an opportunity to declare my ARF receipts?
Its odd that the online form asks you to make the declaration before providing you the opportunity to declare your income/assets.
I appreciate your helpful responses

Don't worry to much about it.

The bottom line is that you qualify.

If after completing the form you are unhappy with the declaration, you could phone Intreo for assistance.

Last edited:
So, do you have to list all bank and credit union balances on the application for JSB?

So, do you have to list all bank and credit union balances on the application for JSB?
Yes.
JBSE is not means tested.
However they gather information on your means and the means of your spouse, in case you do not qualify for JBSE but you might qualify for means tested Jobseekers Allowance.
You can qualify for JBSE, even if you are a millionaire.

Last edited:
When I applied online (this year) for the Over 65 Benefit, it asked if I was claiming for my spouse and I replied No. Because of this none of the questions about assts, bank balances etc appeared. They did phone me subsequently for my spouse's PPSN in order to check that my spouse was not claiming for me. But the Over 65 Benefit payment is not means tested and therefore they should not be looking for either income or asset details.

I'm 65 next April and have ARF income and rental income.My contributions are Class S with only 2 year Class A.
Will I qualify for 65y payment?

I'm 65 next April and have ARF income and rental income.My contributions are Class S with only 2 year Class A.
Will I qualify for 65y payment?
If you are trying to qualify in the self employment class S system, there is a requirement that you must have ceased your self employment in calender year your 63rd birthday or later.
Do you, or did you have earned self employment ?
This is slightly complicated but you can check it out if you download "Operating guidelines for 65s benefit".

Last edited:
If you are trying to qualify in the self employment class S system, there is a requirement that you must have ceased your self employment in calender year your 63rd birthday or later.
Do you, or did you have earned self employment ?
This is slightly completed but you can check it out if you download "Operating guidelines for 65s benefit".
I ceased self employment in my 63rd year .

I ceased self employment in my 63rd year .
Okay.

Provided you also have 52 class S for your 63rd year, you should qualify.

The rental income is classed as subsidiary income, provided that it runs concurrently with your earned self employment for at least 6 months before the date of your 65th birthday.

If this is the case you can have the rental "employment" and be still classed as unemployed for qualifing for 65s benefit.

The ARF income is also allowed.

Last edited:
Okay.

Provided you also have 52 class S for your 63rd year, you shouldl qualify.

The rental income is classed as subsidiary income, provided it has run for a minimum of 117 weeks. If this is the case you can have the rental "employment" and be still classed as unemployed for qualifing for 65s benefit.

The ARF income is also allowed.
As the ARF is paid under class S contributions will that suffice for the whole year of my 63rd birthday?
Really appreciate your help as its not easy to follow.

As the ARF is paid under class S contributions will that suffice for the whole year of my 63rd birthday?
Really appreciate your help as its not easy to follow.
Yes. It doesn't matter how you gained the 52 class S.

I'm 65 next April and have ARF income and rental income.
Sorry for causing confusion here.

I have just rechecked the rules for subsidiary employment. They state that the two employments must have run concurrently for a period of at least 6 months immediately prior to the date of application.

The date of application is your 65th birthday.

The two employments are the rental employment and your earned self employment.

It therefore looks like you would need to restart your earned self employment 6 months before your 65th birthday and then cease it on your 65th birthday, in order to be able to qualify for 65s benefit while in receipt of rental income.

If you restarted your self employment now it might meet the 6 months concurrent period. Then cease your new self employment on your 65th birthday.

Last edited:
Back