Signature on application form not matching ID

Dicette

I'm in the process of trying to open two accounts with Anglo Irish a regular savers and a premium demand.

I sent off my application forms and associated documentation. They were returned with a letter stating that I needed to resign the forms as my signatures on the application forms did not match my drivers license and passport. I called the bank, the girl I spoke to thought it very strange and said she would arrange for someone to phone back - no one did (giving them the benefit of the doubt, they may have phoned my home number which doesn't have voicemail). I resigned them and sent them back to the bank, again the application forms were returned with the same letter. I called again, girl I spoke with again thought it was unusal and I'm awaiting a callback.

My driving license is 8 years old, obviously my signature has changed. My signature is a sprawling one and I suppose it does tend to differ if I have more room to sign as opposed to the narrow strip for my passport signature. To be honest it's never been an issue before, so I've never given it a lot of thought.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this when try to open an account.

Is it a requirement as part of money-laundering legislation to verifiy the identity of the applicant by comparing signatures on Photo ID or is this an internal bank practice?

Back