Sick leave and redundancy; Notice Pay?

mary123

I was on maternity leave from 5 Sept 2011 to 5 March 2012. On sick leave thereafter. Given notice of redundancy 29 March 2012 and told good luck and god bless basically. Boss thinks i am not entitled to get paid my 4 weeks notice (Employed 9 years). Is this correct? Citizens info have told me i am due redundancy, notice, holiday pay and bank holiday pay. Boss reluctantly agrees with holidays, has applied to gov to pay redundancy and says no to 4 weeks notice. Any input appreciated.

I am assuming you got 4 weeks notice from March 29 and you got your p45 etc on or about April 27. You should have got your redundancy payment on that date also Is your question that you did not get paid for these 4 weeks and that you were sick at that time? I can't see how you can be paid while on sick leave. Sorry

You have to get your 4 weeks notice. If you work your notice, you're entitled to be paid for it. If you cannot work your notice, and there is no provision in your contract to be paid while on sick leave, then you won't get paid. You may however be entitled to Illness Benefit if you have the stamps, although presumably if you did, you would already be receiving that.

It would be a different matter if you could work, but were not being asked to, or if you weren't given 4 weeks notice, in which case you would be entitled to pay in lieu of that notice.

Basically if he didn't give you the opportunity to work your notice, you're entitled to be paid for it. If he did, and you weren't able to take up that offer, then you're not. Also, if you're entitled to paid sick leave under your contract, then you'd be entitled to paid notice.

Back