Should KBC customers consider fixing?

I full expect the rates to fall further towards the Eurozone average.

No one should fix for three years in any lender at the moment.

Agree 100%.

Let us also not forget to look at the Bond rates, EU inflation etc. There is nothing to suggest a risk of interest rates increasing in the next few years, with competition likely to help bring our lending rates closer to the EU average.

So should you fix for one year at 2.9% for LTV <90% compared to a variable rate of 3.5%.

This is a hard one. Personally I think you should try to switch to EBS and collect 2% in the process.

Brendan

In isolation, the obvious answer to the 1-year question is to fix at 2.9% and save 0.6% over the year. Costs (both financial and time) must be considered if you were to move, so they need to be factored in as part of this decision, while 1-year is a relatively short time period so the risk of potential long term disadvantage to the customer is limited, if they fix.

If someone moves to the EBS and collects the 2%, is there a "clawback" to consider if they subsequently want to move elsewhere in a couple of years time ? I must say, on a personal level, I would have some concerns about what the future holds for the EBS so would want to be confident that I could leave as easily as I went to them.

If someone moves to the EBS and collects the 2%, is there a "clawback" to consider if they subsequently want to move elsewhere in a couple of years time ?

No, there's absolutely no possibility of a clawback - that would be illegal.

Going to book a valuation and have it ready for December in order to switch. drew down a year ago at ltv at 85% for new house to buidlers finish. have pumped in about 15 grand flooring, kithen etc. will the valuer take this into account as valuation at mortgage drawdown at only to builders finish? same new build houses are going for 5k more also in same estate 1 yeat later so hope they take this into a/c.hope to get below 80 LTV if they take account work that was done since original drawdown

Yes Ned any works done to a house impact its value, so you are in a positive position to avail of <= 80%

Back