Home Should insurance pay labour costs for replacing water damaged floor?

Ardent

Hi all

We had an escape of water in our apartment the other day and it has ruined all the flooring in the hallway.

I have a home contents insurance policy and, as a I installed the floor myself originally, I can claim for the flooring. However, there is an excess of 500 EUR in the event of water damage.

I don't see the flooring materials costing too much but I estimate the labour could run into many hundreds of euros. My question is:

Should my policy cover not only the cost of replacing the floor but also the labour to lay down the floor?

Thanks!

Hi ardent , yes it should include labour . It happened to me about 4 years ago the insurance company asked me to get a receipt for a replacement floor .
I went to the sales guy in a random store and asked for a written receipt for flooring and labour and submitted it to the insurance company.
They paid out same minus excess . Mind you, excess was not a high as yours .

If the company has accepted they cover the materials then they will also cover the labour. Timber floors are generally classed as buildings and some companies would not pay out unless you have some buildings cover. Your block policy will only cover buildings installed prior to purchase.

Thanks guys. The insurance company confirmed same. They agree to cover labour costs, provided they are reasonable and not above a certain threshold, in which case their own assessor would be required.

escape of water in our apartment the other day and it has ruined all the flooring in the hallway. ..... there is an excess of 500 EUR in the event of water damage.

Excess is high. Is it worth it to claim insurance?

At this point, no, it's not worth claiming. I got a quote for 200 EUR labour, I may even just put the floor back down myself.

I had a claim last year for just under 1K€ and this year house insurance nearly doubled with original company. Lost six year no claim bonus. Had to move as was just lucky to go with my car insurance company who offered a discount. A small claim is NOT worth it.

Back