Should I move to Ulster Bank?

siulas

Well, before all Ulster Bank fiasco I was thinking to make a move from AIB, but now, after such a serious outage I have some doubts. What everyone is doing? Are you moving to different bank from Ulster after all is sorted? Or are you still thinking to move/stay with them for free banking?

That a little unfair, I have been with them and never had an issue always found staff ver good. This probelm could have happened to any one and to be fair other than in inconveniance of having to into branch for cash was not a major problem for a majority of customers I would think !

We bank with Ulster in the North of Ireland and we have had no problems with them. We intend changing over to them when we return down south. We had no problems accessing cash from them during the recent computer problems and all our direct debits were paid on time. We bank with AIB down south and I hate the long queues in the Galway branches ...that would be my biggest gripe.

I don't bank with Ulster Bank and don't plan on doing do. If AIB messed up like Ulster, I'd definitely switch, after getting the compensation.

whatever about the last weeks - I'd recommend Ulster Bank from a day-to-day banking perspective. The internet banking is the best out there in my opinion.
No way I'd move to any other bank.

Always found them great as above poster has said and this crash will not put me off staying with them.

They are the last bank to retain real fee free banking for personal customers.

They opened their branches late and even over the weekend to look after customers.

A spokesman was on the rte 1pm news today saying that they are discussing compensation details with the central bank.

He also said that no customers has closed their account but then many are waiting till their account is error free before doing so if at all.

Probably after this shock to the system they are or will be the safeist bank tech wise to bank with... hopefully.

I fear they may quit here after this but hopefully not.

Always found them great as above poster has said and this crash will not put me off staying with them.

I can't understand this way of thinking. You receive a bad service and continue to stay with them. Why?

They are the last bank to retain real fee free banking for personal customers.

Nothing is free. They have to be making profit through other means such as higher interest rates etc.

They opened their branches late and even over the weekend to look after customers.

Yes! To fix a mistake of their making. I wouldnt expect anything less.

A spokesman was on the rte 1pm news today saying that they are discussing compensation details with the central bank.

There will be no compensation. How to you compensate a customer for the time they wasted in a queue trying to access their money or compensate them for a poor credit rating?

He also said that no customers has closed their account but then many are waiting till their account is error free before doing so if at all.

Well he was hardly going to say that customers were leaving in droves. As he said I expect existing customers will wait until all errors have been rectified before leaving.

Probably after this shock to the system they are or will be the safeist bank tech wise to bank with... hopefully.

I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd be in no rush to change (and am not), even with the issues that have occurred.

While it's quite obvious the many others aren't satisfied with how it was handled, I personally feel they did the best they could, given what they had to work through and on a day to day basis they've been extremely good to deal with outside of the current problem.

RBS and Ulster banks are under the same umbrella and RBS is moving customers over to Santander and I think that was the problems in the in UK anyway.

It has nothing to do with the sale of some branches to Santander in the UK..

I can't understand this way of thinking. You receive a bad service and continue to stay with them. Why?

Nothing is free. They have to be making profit through other means such as higher interest rates etc.

Yes! To fix a mistake of their making. I wouldnt expect anything less.

There will be no compensation. How to you compensate a customer for the time they wasted in a queue trying to access their money or compensate them for a poor credit rating?

I will be staying with UB. Everybody makes mistakes, but its how you rectify these mistakes that make us.......

UB asked me yesterday what kind of compensation figure was i expecting......

Credit rating will not be affected as per previous comments on this thread as UB will not be including them in their monthly submission to the Credit Rating Agency

If you were about to take out a mortgage with them, opening a current account with them might prove very worthwhile.

If getting mortgage from Ulster, definitely consider opening a current account. And upgrading to a uFirst account.
uFirst costs 10 per month, but reduction in mortgage rate and free bank valuation of house more than covers this from the start. Plus there are other handy benifits like cashback on Ticketmaster tickets, phone insurance etc.
Not affiliated, just happy with service so far - only starting mortgage in coming weeks and had no real ill-effects from the IT issues.

Very unhappy with new BOI Current A/c term's regarding keeping €3,000 in the a/c to get free banking. Can I just pop along to my local Ulster bank with original documents and open a current a/c or will they insist on me getting photo-copies or will they photo copy the originals?

Turn up with original documents, ideally your passport or full driver's licence as photo i.d , I always bring both when openning a new account and two forms of address verification such as Electricity / Gas / Phone / UPC bill.

Turn up with original documents, ideally your passport or full driver's licence as photo i.d , I always bring both when openning a new account and two forms of address verification such as Electricity / Gas / Phone / UPC bill.

And a tax document too showing your tax number

I was in my local Ulster Bank branch during the week and they were having a "systems down" problem with their foreign exchange. Not over yet!

I was in my local Ulster Bank branch during the week and they were having a "systems down" problem with their foreign exchange. Not over yet!

- Yes I.T. problems are abit of a concern. I'm looking for a new current a/c which can be operated freely subject to some conditions and really it's between Ulster and EBS. PTSB and AIB have just too many conditions attached which is now the case with BOI with a balance required of €3,000 - EBS is only €500.

- Yes I.T. problems are abit of a concern. I'm looking for a new current a/c which can be operated freely subject to some conditions and really it's between Ulster and EBS. PTSB and AIB have just too many conditions attached which is now the case with BOI with a balance required of €3,000 - EBS is only €500.

The 500 EUR balance is not an obligatory requirement with EBS ...

Day-to-day banking: €0.30 per ATM withdrawal, €0.30 per branch transaction and free debit card transactions OR free if you comply with the below conditions:
(1) Make no more than 5 ATM or branch withdrawals per month AND
(2) Lodge €1,500 to your EBS MoneyManager Account per month (which may be by way of several small lodgements that add up to €1,500) OR
(2) Maintain a minimum balance of €500 in your EBS MoneyManager Account each and every day of the month.
Fees are calculated on a monthly basis but billed quarterly on the 25th or subsequent business day post the end of the quarter.
Instructions for direct debits/standing orders must be made before 3:30 PM to get next day value date.

Back