Shopping around for an ARF

Slim

I have recently retired completely and had been contributing to a PRSA for the past 5 years. When my wife retired, we simply opened an ARF with the same provider, Zurich. However, I wonder if it's worth shopping around for lowest AMC etc. If so, what is the best way to do this? Thanks.

Start by contacting all the execution only brokers who post here and ask them to negotiate the best deal with the ARF provider achievable with your level of PRSA.

Start by contacting all the execution only brokers who post here and ask them to negotiate the best deal with the ARF provider achievable with your level of PRSA.
Indeed, I had a peek at one earlier!

Also there should be extra wriggle room to get an ARF for yourself with Zurich at a lower fee, because your wife currently has a Zurich ARF. Mention this when you contact each broker.

Last edited:
Also there sould be extra wriggle room to get an ARF for yourself with Zurich at a lower fee, because your wife currently has a Zurich ARF. Mention this when you contact each broker.
You do know it doesn't work that way?

Hey Nike store, my wife and kids love Nike. They have tons of Nike gear. Bought it all in Lifestyle mind. Can I get a discount?

I have recently retired completely and had been contributing to a PRSA for the past 5 years. When my wife retired, we simply opened an ARF with the same provider, Zurich. However, I wonder if it's worth shopping around for lowest AMC etc. If so, what is the best way to do this? Thanks.
Always shop around. You will never get the best deal dealing with monies you already have with a company. I went with Bluewater who Contribute to AAM on regular basis. Steven or one of the other contributors to AAM will get you a better deal than going yourself.
Tested this myself and provider openly said to me they could not match the offer presented to me by broker. Strange but thats the way it is.

Always shop around. You will never get the best deal dealing with monies you already have with a company. I went with Bluewater who Contribute to AAM on regular basis. Steven or one of the other contributors to AAM will get you a better deal than going yourself.
Tested this myself and provider openly said to me they could not match the offer presented to me by broker. Strange but thats the way it is.
I’d be very interested to see an example of this in operation ie cold hard numbers.

I’d be very interested to see an example of this in operation ie cold hard numbers.
Sorry Kev but want to keep my numbers private. Just to explain company I was with employer for well over a decade. They had pension plan for employees with Irish life. Phoned them up told them where I wanted ARF invested. Gave me figures charges etc. Contacted broker gave me better figures than Irish life were offering. Contacted Irish Life directly again asked could they beat broker. Employee told me his hands were tied and in fact could not even match broker. Broker than asked me to look at offer from Zurich which would beat staying with Irish life. Rinse and repeat broker could beat what I could get myself. Went with Zurich using Bluewater. Take note this involved moving funds from Irish Life to Zurich.
Sure phone around get your own figures and give a broker same figures and see what he comes up with.

Shop till ya drop. Nobody will do it for you. No major work involved. But fair amount of money involved over life of pension.

Sorry Kev but want to keep my numbers private. Just to explain company I was with employer for well over a decade. They had pension plan for employees with Irish life. Phoned them up told them where I wanted ARF invested. Gave me figures charges etc. Contacted broker gave me better figures than Irish life were offering. Contacted Irish Life directly again asked could they beat broker. Employee told me his hands were tied and in fact could not even match broker. Broker than asked me to look at offer from Zurich which would beat staying with Irish life. Rinse and repeat broker could beat what I could get myself. Went with Zurich using Bluewater. Take note this involved moving funds from Irish Life to Zurich.
Sure phone around get your own figures and give a broker same figures and see what he comes up with.
Understood about privacy. It would certainly help me a lot and anybody else like me to at least understand what metrics you were comparing and ultimately used to make your decision.

Going shopping for the lowest AMC is certainly worthwhile. But you should have other considerations on your score sheet:
  • Range of funds available, and the size of the funds, suitability of funds vis a vis your requirements
  • Fund managers previous track record
  • Availability of online information and servicing (if that is important to you)
  • Other charges: e.g. fund changes
  • Other servicing: e.g. drawdown mechanics and options, payment methodology, ease of access for notification of changes etc etc
I say this in particular because a poor fund manager could cost you an awful lot more than the AMC

Going shopping for the lowest AMC is certainly worthwhile. But you should have other considerations on your score sheet:
  • Range of funds available, and the size of the funds, suitability of funds vis a vis your requirements
  • Availability of online information and servicing (if that is important to you)
  • Other servicing: e.g. drawdown mechanics and options, payment methodology, ease of access for notification of changes etc etc
I say this in particular because a poor fund manager could cost you an awful lot more than the AMC
Score sheet!? Hmmm. Sounds interesting. I wonder would anyone with sufficient knowledge suggest a full list of comparable metrics?

!00% Freelance. We all have to research/ take advise in all the above areas and tailor to individual needs.
When I completed what you outline very well.
I found that to exercise my plan I simply could not do so doing a solo run or staying with existing provider without incurring extra charges in comparison to what the broker could secure on my behalf.

Back