Set up UK or Irish Company?

pavb2

Hi all

I'm UK PAYE and have been living in there for the past 7 months, travelling back home to Ireland whenever I get a chance. I want to continue in my line of work Mechanical Engineering Consultancy but become a sub contractor to my current employer. So I'm basically selling my time and experience, no employees or materials etc.

This would give me more flexibility and I think I can increase income by making the operation more efficient. I'm paying about £650 rent on an apartment in the UK which I intend to keep on and have a UK bank account.

At present the company has a lot of work and has problems finding skilled and experienced staff to service its clients. I want to put my proposal to my company and to make things as easy as possible for them to agree things such as invoicing would be in £ not €. I can appoint another UK director to comply with legislation if I decide to set up a UK company.

I'm clear in that I want to set up a limited company but should I set this company up in UK or Ireland. What are the advantages,disadvantages and relative merits of either option?

Any advice much appreciated.

Back