Life Serious Illness Cover

S

starbucks

Hi All

I am a new poster to this but often come on here browsing, this is my query, myself and husband have serious illness policy with approx past 13 yrs - both non smokers when taken out. I had a relapse with the cigarettes 3 yrs ago, am now off them 3 and half months problem is I now suspect i might have an illness listed on the policy (am waiting to see a consultant) do i tell bank about relapse in smoking or will if effect me if I have to claim - the suspected illness is not terminal!!! no giving out - I do realise smoking is bad for you!!!! Any advise appreciated.

Hi Starbucks unless the illness is directly linked with smoking and this would have to be proved, (non smokers can also get lung cancer and other diseases blamed on smoking, ) i would be keeping my mouth firmly shut .

If you both answered all the questions honestly (particularly the one regarding the smoking) when you completed the application form, then you have no obligation to tell the insurance company about any subsequent change in your smoking habits.

Good luck with the medical tests.

Thanks for the replies, it puts my mind at ease, a bit, smoking questions were answered honestly when policy was originally taken out, LDFerguson, you seem to know a bit about our obligation when taking out the policy etc... thanks for that, anyone else with any experience of my query would be much appreciated. thanks again

Back