Sending bottle of Whiskey to UK

Gulliver1

Hi guys,

I want to send a bottle of Whiskey from Dublin to the UK to a friend over there.

Any advice if I can send through Post or should I send it through DHL? I heard DHL don't accept alcohol?

Any advice is welcome.

You could order from an online whiskey shop based in the UK and get it delivered to your friend - no doubt a lot cheaper as well!
If the particular brand you're looking at is available of course!

Jon

I can't see anything on the An Post website that prohibits sending a bottle of whiskey, so I reckon you could do so. Just make sure it's very well packed!

Gulliver...

When I send bottles by post, I wrap it in a padded envelope, and then put it into another... It's SO much easier than bubble wrap, etc, and bottles have always arrived safely...

Darth...

Darth...

When I send bottles by post, I wrap it in a padded envelope, and then put it into another... It's SO much easier than bubble wrap, etc, and bottles have always arrived safely...

However, I have had a bad experience. I sent a Christmas pudding, in a ceramic bowl, wrapped in padded envelopes and bubble wrap.
It was marked as undelivered at the destination in the UK and sent back to me. The ceramic was smashed and the smell was atrocious.

However, I have had a bad experience. I sent a Christmas pudding, in a ceramic bowl, wrapped in padded envelopes and bubble wrap.
It was marked as undelivered at the destination in the UK and sent back to me. The ceramic was smashed and the smell was atrocious.

I suppose I've been lucky then...

Yuck, that must have been a lovely thing to receive in the early morning post... Nice item to peruse over breakfast... Rather you than me!...:D

Darth...

Hi guys

I just got an email reply from An Post.

They will NOT accept the whiskey to be sent by mail.

What do I do now?

Hi guys

I just got an email reply from An Post.

They will NOT accept the whiskey to be sent by mail.

What do I do now?

Why not?

Did you specifically tell them it was whiskey? If so, you should not have bothered. Just get it boxed up and post it as a standard parcel - tell them nowt.

Don't see why they would refuse to take it off you then.

[broken link removed]
This shop in Dawson st will deliver overseas, though quite pricey.

I emailed them and they replied saying they don't take ANY "liquids".

Well, their "standard list of prohibitions for all services" states that they will not accept perishable goods, organic or biological materials likely to perish under normal transit conditions IATA restricted articles - such as liquids (see International Section of the Guide) but I don't see how whisky qualifies as a perishable item!

(and I cannot find the "International Section of the Guide" anywhere on their website)

It's up to yourself at this stage - either wrap it up so it doesn't look like a bottle and send it (you don't need to declare the contents when sending to the UK) or order somewhere online instead.

That was my point - tell them nothing and just package it up and send it.

No problem.

... tell them nothing and just package it up and send it ...
That's a rather cavalier attitude to adopt, shipping a flammable liquid by post and potentially putting postal workers in two jurisdictions at risk.

"An Post Parcel Service Terms and Conditions
11. Materials Not Accepted
(a) An Post has certain standard restrictions and prohibitions on items it will carry ...

Standard List of Prohibitions for all Services;
… , flammable solids or liquids ... "

Back