Selling to county council

I'm starting to get stressed now, notice given in October, application submitted in October. Have heard nothing from SDCC and tenant's notice date is in 5 weeks. I've had a lot going on in my personal life so haven't had a chance to follow up with them. I just sent an email and I'll call when the offices open. We really don't want to evict our tenant but after going through everything to get the paperwork together and serving the notice to quit I don't really want to go back to the beginning either and go down the private selling route

I'm starting to get stressed now, notice given in October, application submitted in October. Have heard nothing from SDCC and tenant's notice date is in 5 weeks. I've had a lot going on in my personal life so haven't had a chance to follow up with them. I just sent an email and I'll call when the offices open. We really don't want to evict our tenant but after going through everything to get the paperwork together and serving the notice to quit I don't really want to go back to the beginning either and go down the private selling route
I got the offer from council at 5pm the last date of notice, they will literally drag it out until the end.

Does this mean that your tenant was still renting from you after the notice period was finished and while the sale was going through? Was your tenant worried that you were going to enforce the eviction?

Does this mean that your tenant was still renting from you after the notice period was finished and while the sale was going through? Was your tenant worried that you were going to enforce the eviction?
yes tenant is still in the property, rent is being paid by HAP we are sale agreed since Dec 2023. My tenant wasn't one bit worried she expects to be housed by the government I was concerned about over holding. My sale is now unfortunately being delayed by management company of apartment complex and may not be possible to go ahead now.

yes tenant is still in the property, rent is being paid by HAP we are sale agreed since Dec 2023. My tenant wasn't one bit worried she expects to be housed by the government I was concerned about over holding. My sale is now unfortunately being delayed by management company of apartment complex and may not be possible to go ahead now.

Hi OGC222, I'm still waiting to get an offer from FCC but I see you say your sale is being delayed / may not be possible to go ahead? Can you explain what problem is or prefer not to say which of course is understandable.

Hi OGC222, I'm still waiting to get an offer from FCC but I see you say your sale is being delayed / may not be possible to go ahead? Can you explain what problem is or prefer not to say which of course is understandable.
My property is a duplex apartment which has a management company, there is a covenant in the title Lease that the property is not to be assigned to a Local Authority. ( my own fault I did not know about this). After a search on the internet this is not uncommon and it has stopped sales before.
It seems you can't discriminate when renting but you can when selling! it makes no sense but looks like I will now have to evict tenant and make her homeless because of this covenant.

Yeah I read a few news articles about that. Is it where you as the purchaser when you bought the duplex signed up to the lease and in it it had that condition in the purchasers covenants?

Does or has anybody come to the end of a lease on the long term rental scheme. I have completed 2 cycles of RAS where I had to deal directly with the tenant regarding maintenance etc.
Now I have my property leased directly to council under the long term scheme. I handed the keys into SDCC office and have had absolutely nothing to do with the property for the last 8yrs+.
I intend to sell next year. My contract is with the council. States in my contract that property will be returned to me in the same condition bar normal wear and tear at end of period ie. 10years.
Will I get my property back on time?
What condition should I expect to have property returned to me in?
Due to the fact that my contract is directly with the council and states I have no say regarding tenants what would happen if it is not vacated on completion of contract?

I got a letter last Friday saying SDCC won't be aquiring our 2 bed apartment because it's not suitable. No other details. Plan now is to wait until our tenant is offered housing from the council and sell on the open market. I'm not willing to enforce the eviction (young mum with 2 small kids). It's just a nuisance after all the paper work I had to get together for the application

I got a letter last Friday saying SDCC won't be aquiring our 2 bed apartment because it's not suitable. No other details. Plan now is to wait until our tenant is offered housing from the council and sell on the open market. I'm not willing to enforce the eviction (young mum with 2 small kids). It's just a nuisance after all the paper work I had to get together for the application
that's really disappointing for you. Unfortunately as your tenant is considered housed while on HAP they will not be offered a housing in any real time.

I agreed a deal with FCC today. The price I got was fair, probably could of got a little more on the open market but with no agent fees or vacant period when closing I think its ok. Just need the legals to go smoothly and then the single mother gets to stay on in her home of many years!

that's really disappointing for you. Unfortunately as your tenant is considered housed while on HAP they will not be offered a housing in any real time.
This is our 3rd/4th tenant on HAP and they've all received an offer of a council property after 2 or 3 years so I'm hoping the same pattern will follow

This is our 3rd/4th tenant on HAP and they've all received an offer of a council property after 2 or 3 years so I'm hoping the same pattern will follow
my tenant has a 17 year old daughter and have been on housing list for 15 years and hasn't come close to the top.

Thanks for this thread!
I bought (2 bed, 2 bath apt) on the affordable housing scheme 16 years ago and now offering it back to DCC so I don't have to go through the hasell of the open market. Started the process early Jan, they sent an assessor and then a valuer and an offer came in last week. It's a reasonable offer but probably a little lower than the open market. I have just asked today for 10k more and we'll see what they come back with...

Same situation here, selling to Limerick City Council, Ras tenant family in place. Notice to Quit issued last September, tenants due out in May, inspections done by Council in recent weeks (valuation and structural engineer, both walk through inspections, nothing detailed). I'm told I'll have an offer by the end of this month but I'm not holding my breath. I heard from a Council official that the number of notices to quit has skyrocketed this year and I guess the Councils are snowed under, thus the slow response time.

111 days since going sale agreed with FCC they have pulled from the purchase of our duplex due to a clause in the lease. Really frustrating it took this long to come to light and make a decision. thankfully I did not return deposit to tenant they requested this 1 month ago. New notice to end tenancy going to tenant on Monday it will be Oct 2024 when I get the property back after originally serving notice June 2023.

a very long frustrating process with a strong learning curve for me!

111 days since going sale agreed with FCC they have pulled from the purchase of our duplex due to a clause in the lease. Really frustrating it took this long to come to light and make a decision. thankfully I did not return deposit to tenant they requested this 1 month ago. New notice to end tenancy going to tenant on Monday it will be Oct 2024 when I get the property back after originally serving notice June 2023.

a very long frustrating process with a strong learning curve for me!
Sorry to hear this. I may be in a similar situation. A sale process ongoing almost one year now. We informally extended (in good faith) the tenancy based on sale to council. Now if the sale collapses, we still have a tenant in a property we need vacant possession of to sell on open market

RTB have said we can go to adjudication to begin the over holding process but I am unsure that's good advice from them. It seems to be a bit of a grey area.

Did you get advice that you have to serve new notice ?

Are any posters able to advise ?

The moral of the story here is to formally extend the tenancy and never assume a sale to council will conclude.

Sorry to hear this. I may be in a similar situation. A sale process ongoing almost one year now. We informally extended (in good faith) the tenancy based on sale to council. Now if the sale collapses, we still have a tenant in a property we need vacant possession of to sell on open market

RTB have said we can go to adjudication to begin the over holding process but I am unsure that's good advice from them. It seems to be a bit of a grey area.

Did you get advice that you have to serve new notice ?

Are any posters able to advise ?

The moral of the story here is to formally extend the tenancy and never assume a sale to council will conclude.
I spoke to RTB this morning and they advised to reissue notice. Offer to purchase from FCC only came in on last day of notice period Dec 2023. in fairness to the tenants she presumed sale was going through and will need time to source new accommodation if that's even possible.

I spoke to RTB this morning and they advised to reissue notice. Offer to purchase from FCC only came in on last day of notice period Dec 2023. in fairness to the tenants she presumed sale was going through and will need time to source new accommodation if that's even possible.
Thanks

We went sale agreed well before the notice expired.
I think you could also say you extended as you were hoping to sell to council under tenant in situ scheme. R

Its not the tenants fault in either case but moving to private sale with vacant possession is difficult. Our tenant could not find anything near the rent they pay us. Places were available but they said they were too expensive and not as good as our place. A year later and that won't have improved.

Back