Selling to county council

Hi.

I'm in the process of selling my house to council.

Contacted them in October after I gave notice to HAP Tennant.
Very slow in terms of communication from the council.. when you email them you get no reply and when you phone them usual reply is the person you need us not available.

Anyhow things started to move in Dec and the council sent an engineer to inspect house and also a second person to value the house.

In early Feb they offered 10k below what I had it valued at.

I have not accepted and asked them to improve offer. I haven't heard anything since.
Quick update for anyone interested.
Council increased their original offer today by 5k and I accepted.
Now over to the solicitors..

Update we are sale agreed since Dec 15th with FCC and queries are still going back and forth between my solicitor and FCC. What is most annoying is most queries FCC have the answers to-which local authority is responsible for the property and fire cert. Both documents my solicitor had to pay FCC to produce these letters.

You would think if a county council is buying a property in their own area, these questions would be a given.

I have been asked to return deposit to tenant but refused to do so until there is a closing date as tenant pays a top up to me on rent each month that I am sure would stop once deposit is returned.

Similar experiences to above.
SDCC offered €10,000 below my valuation and eventually increased it by €5,000
Also a lot of the information that was being requested by SDCC, I needed to get onto another section of SDCC for that information.
Frustrating but got there in the end.

Also a lot of the information that was being requested by SDCC, I needed to get onto another section of SDCC for that information.
where you asked to return deposit to tenant in advance of closing?

For someone like me who has just gone sale agreed. What advice would you give me in terms of speeding up the process?
Is there certain documentation etc that I should start getting ready?

For someone like me who has just gone sale agreed. What advice would you give me in terms of speeding up the process?
Have your NPPR cert ready for your solicitor ( if required) I think only year 2013 is applicable - you either paid the fee or have an exemption
I need a copy of lease for solicitor
Copy of any rent increases and later stating amounts and date
RTB- my reference number with them

Your solicitor for the sale will also have a list of documents required.

Update we are sale agreed since Dec 15th with FCC and queries are still going back and forth between my solicitor and FCC. What is most annoying is most queries FCC have the answers to-which local authority is responsible for the property and fire cert. Both documents my solicitor had to pay FCC to produce these letters.

You would think if a county council is buying a property in their own area, these questions would be a given.

I have been asked to return deposit to tenant but refused to do so until there is a closing date as tenant pays a top up to me on rent each month that I am sure would stop once deposit is returned.
I went sale agreed month ago with council and still not closed. The council's solicitors lost the contracts and deeds. I agreed to sell for less than market value based on a quick sale.

It's been a very frustrating experience. The council never phone back.

I wasn’t in any mad hurry however got nervous as time went on as the Council could pull out at any time as nothing was signed. This would have wasted 8 months of my time. I call the council directly and politely asked them to either find a new property for the tenant asap or instruct their solicitor to sign. The solicitor signed the Agreement for Sale within a few days so at that stage there was no pulling out for either party. The sale closed 5 or 6 weeks later.

Hello, need advice. We are renting our house to SDCC for past 9 years. Our 10 year contract will end next June. We would like to sell property to them. For a last month I tried to contact them with all details. They answered me that they are not interested because house is owner occupied. That is not true. We live abroad. I tried to explain it to them and now they send me just form of interest to fill in and that we need to provide BER cert, valuation of property and termination notice.
BER cert I understand but we thought that they will do valuation. And we are not sure what termination notice is. Or to whom. To the council or tenants? We did not have any contact with tenants ever. Can someone please advice about correct procedure? Thank you.

Hello, need advice. We are renting our house to SDCC for past 9 years. Our 10 year contract will end next June. We would like to sell property to them. For a last month I tried to contact them with all details. They answered me that they are not interested because house is owner occupied. That is not true. We live abroad. I tried to explain it to them and now they send me just form of interest to fill in and that we need to provide BER cert, valuation of property and termination notice.
BER cert I understand but we thought that they will do valuation. And we are not sure what termination notice is. Or to whom. To the council or tenants? We did not have any contact with tenants ever. Can someone please advice about correct procedure? Thank you.
That sounds correct.
Complete the form of Interest, Send them an up to date Ber Cert along with your independent valuation (they will do there own further down the line) and then give your tenant the 8 months notice sending the Council a copy on the same day as the tenant.
This is the start of the process and is exactly what I had to do also.

We are currently going through that, we had a tenant in our Apt through the long term leasing scheme , end date was in April 2024 and we started the process , as per the contract, 6 months prior Late Oct/Early Nov. It's drawn out by what can only be described as ineptness. I still don't know why don't departments within in these councils talk to each other ? This snails pace just doesn't happen in the private sector .
To the original poster we having started the process nearly 5 months ago only received an offer this week and a little line on the figures says that this process can take up to 16 weeks!! After they've already dragged their heels for the past 5 months they are adding another 4 months onto it . What I feel sorry for is the tenant at the moment - we can all bash saying they should've bought their own house - but imagine being that family and having lived there for nearly 10 years and not knowing where they are going to live - they kids have only ever know that place as home , with a little "get-up-and-go" the council could've had this all wrapped up months ago and no one would have to worry, we'd have our sale through , the family would have stability . Sorry rant over

Thank you for your answers. BER cert should be valid for 10 years. We provided one to the Council when we started renting. Issue is we don't have access to the property. We gave keys to Council, they do maintenance on the property and they have they own tenants. Can we just send there someone to do valuation of the property? And to whom we send termination notice? We don't even have names of tenants. Or that is for Council?

I’ve a HAP tenant who wants to stay on long term and need with to sell the property. Do I need an estate agent to negotiate with SDCC or DCC as I’m getting a few offers to do so or a better price?

Hi, I think there is a separate scheme for HAP tenants, best to contact the local authority. You don't need an estate agent you can negotiate yourself.

That sounds correct.
Complete the form of Interest, Send them an up to date Ber Cert along with your independent valuation (they will do there own further down the line) and then give your tenant the 8 months notice sending the Council a copy on the same day as the tenant.
This is the start of the process and is exactly what I had to do also.
On the ten year long term rental scheme with SDCC. Finishes up 18 months time. Have had no say in what tenants have been in place past 8 years.
Will be selling next year.
1. My contract is with council and the fact that I have never known tenants do I give notice to the council and when?
2. I think I will sell privately after reading above posts. Property supposed to be returned back in condition it was initally presented in.
How good are councils in returning propery back ie what condition?

On the ten year long term rental scheme with SDCC. Finishes up 18 months time. Have had no say in what tenants have been in place past 8 years.
Will be selling next year.
1. My contract is with council and the fact that I have never known tenants do I give notice to the council and when?
2. I think I will sell privately after reading above posts. Property supposed to be returned back in condition it was initally presented in.
How good are councils in returning propery back ie what condition?
My contract was 6 years and I maintained it so different than yours. When I sold the tenant stayed in place so can’t answer question 2.

On question one, I would send notice to the property addressed to the tenant and also the Council. Don’t forget the Residential Tenancies Board also and all on the same day.

You need to give them 224 days’ notice as they are there over 8 years.

It’s the Councils problem after that….

Reactions: KOW
I wasn’t in any mad hurry however got nervous as time went on as the Council could pull out at any time as nothing was signed. This would have wasted 8 months of my time. I call the council directly and politely asked them to either find a new property for the tenant asap or instruct their solicitor to sign. The solicitor signed the Agreement for Sale within a few days so at that stage there was no pulling out for either party. The sale closed 5 or 6 weeks later.
Iay have to do this with SDCC, nearly eight months and it feels like I've wasted my time. Sale agreed since July.

Back